Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Anybody use 3/4" ID tubing on their Chugger center inlet?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 01:01 AM   #1
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 329 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default Anybody use 3/4" ID tubing on their Chugger center inlet?

Like the title says...it seems that everyone is using an adaptor to downsize the 3/4" center inlet on their chuggers to work with 1/2" ID hose. Does anyone use 3/4" ID hose, it seems like that is how the design was intended?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 03:24 AM   #2
luhrks
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have the march ac-3b-md and yes, I use 3/4"id hose on the pump inlet with no reducer (and matching 3/4" outlet on the pot)

You might "get by" with using 1/2" hose on the inlet, but the performance is reduced.

img_20130223_144322.jpg  
Old 03-26-2013, 03:34 AM   #3
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Where did you get the 3/4" hose? I think that finding a cheap source of 3/4" is the main reason a lot of people go with 1/2"

Old 03-26-2013, 05:11 AM   #4
tophmck
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Interesting. I'm in the process of redoing my plumbing and have been asking myself the same question. I've been eyeing the 3/4" silicone tubing at U.S. Plastics -- here. If anyone knows of a better/cheaper source, I'd be curious.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 AM   #5
luhrks
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

McMaster Carr Here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-pl...tubing/=m1gz85

You actually can order it in off sizes (I got 3' of both the 3/4" and 1" ID crush resistant tubing). That US Plastics is only available in 50' lots. Cheaper per foot? Yes! Might want to do a group buy though...

Or got for 10' of the reinforced silicon (that S#*t is sexy) at 10' for the minimum and split it.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks guys...it really seemed weird how many people were spending more money on the center inlet pump and then attaching undersized tubing. Especially if the reason is the cost of the tubing, it seems their logic is contradictory.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
tophmck
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff View Post
Thanks guys...it really seemed weird how many people were spending more money on the center inlet pump and then attaching undersized tubing. Especially if the reason is the cost of the tubing, it seems their logic is contradictory.
There are gains to a center inlet pump, even if you immediately restrict to 1/2" ID. For a great thread on this for March pumps, see here -- especially posts 1 and 24.

I'm all for the 3/4" tubing on the inlet, though. May as well milk that baby for all she's worth!

Old 03-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophmck View Post
There are gains to a center inlet pump, even if you immediately restrict to 1/2" ID. For a great thread on this for March pumps, see here -- especially posts 1 and 24.

I'm all for the 3/4" tubing on the inlet, though. May as well milk that baby for all she's worth!
I'm going to be going from a 1.5" butterfly to the 3/4" so I know I really don't want to restrict it any more than needed. Thanks for the link I'll check it out.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
Minor_Deity

Recipes 

Am I missing something or wouldn't this stuff work for the 3/4 tubing? The opaque and semi-clear 3/4 ID 7/8 OD in this style hose is $2.83 per ft. With a minimum of 2 ft.
It's only rated 3psi at 72, but this is for the 3/4 feed side of the pump only. Is there a danger of collapse? Picked up a stainless 3/4 center inlet head that will go on the boil kettle pump for whirlpool and transfer I could get away with a 2ft section of this. The opaque red would be pretty slick, as well as a visual warning. lol.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-hi...-rubber-tubing

@Bensiff
I don't think it's really the cost of the tubing. It's the retro fit costs for pretty much any HB system out there. Everything in the HB world is made with 1/2 NPT and 1/2 valves. So why spring for the 3/4 tubing when the outlet on all your vessels is 1/2 anyway. They are just grabbing the center inlet for reduced cav, easier priming/plumbing.
Me, I am considering having my 20 gal boil port retrofitted for 1.5 sani. I already have some 1.5 butterfly valves so my entry cost is just the tubing and the ferrule welding.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

People are using far more restrictive parts in the total flow path than the 1/2" ID of typical silicone tubing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with feeding a chugger with 1/2" ID tubing as long as all the other parts provide a wide open bore. Hint... look at my website.

The center inlet's slightly reduced chance of cavatation comes from one less 90 degree bend at the inlet of the head and not because of the 3/4" inlet.

Note: the 2.83/ft tubing in question from mcmaster is only 1/16" wall thickness. No good.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Quick Reply