*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > anybody know much about antique refrigerators?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
chainsawbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default anybody know much about antique refrigerators?

i love the look of the old rounded top ge fridges, and would like to make a kegorator out of one, and i actually found one local for sale.

what i'm concerned about, is if the fridge "dies" and being as it's like aover 50 years old i think, is it pretty much scrap metal at that point? or can a fairly able DIY'er fix about any issue it'd have, or at least are there places around that can fix them for cheap?

right now it's keeping cold just fine, and it's not terribly expensive either, just wondering.

thanks.

my bar build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
lustreking
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I don't have much to add, except for a picture of my Westinghouse fridge that I use for fermenting.

One of these days, I'm going to have to get around to painting it.

My brewing site:
http://brewing.lustreking.com

Old 01-13-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
chainsawbrewing

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lustreking View Post
I don't have much to add, except for a picture of my Westinghouse fridge that I use for fermenting.

One of these days, I'm going to have to get around to painting it.
sweet! that's what i'm talking about! i'd love to make one of those into an old kegerator. my lhbs has an old fridge set up to a kegorator like that.

my bar build

Old 01-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It could be a pain, but one might be able to find a cheap mini-fridge, gut it and add it's components to the old shell. I recently did something similar, but installed it in a new construction frame as a fermentation chiller/"portable" beer serving cart. The trickiest bit would be that you'd have to cut an opening large enough to put the cooling coil into the old shell. I didn't have to do that with my build. Depending on the mini-fridge, for mine, I was able to take the freezer compartment and bend it open flat, then you'd only need a slot about 2"X16" to fish the flattened coil in. I'd just configure the heat exchanger where the old one was. You'd probably want to add some kind of hardware cloth protective screen over it as mine was pretty soft metal and would be very easy to break if not well protected.

There's a few pics in my gallery of the process

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 01-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #5
golfnmotorcycles
Recipes 

The one at Great Fermentations? I saw that one when I was in town last month. Pretty sweet, and it did wonders to do distract me from the $500 conical nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsawbrewing View Post
sweet! that's what i'm talking about! i'd love to make one of those into an old kegerator. my lhbs has an old fridge set up to a kegorator like that.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
chainsawbrewing

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnmotorcycles View Post
The one at Great Fermentations? I saw that one when I was in town last month. Pretty sweet, and it did wonders to do distract me from the $500 conical nearby.
yep, that's the one i'm talking about. ever since i saw theirs, i've wanted to make one out of an old fridge like that.

my bar build

Old 01-13-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
truckmann
Mann Cave Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

There really isn't much too them. So if it were to die I think it wouldn't be too bad to repair. The hardest part about it would probably be finding a compatible compressor, since that is really the only thing to worry about going out. Someone trained in refrigeration appliance repair should be able to replace the compressor flush the system and recharge it.

Those old things tend to last forever though. They are built a lot better than anything made today although not terribly energy efficient. I have an old latch handle Frigidare in my garage that about 4' tall that I store yeast in during the summer. That little bastard weighs as much as a new full size fridge and my dad bought it for $5 at an auction. I replaced the wiring in it cause it was a little scary and it is still running great. I actually have to run it on close to the lowest setting or it will make beer slushies.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:48 PM   #8
davefj40
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

the biggest problem is most of the weatherstripping is worn out causing them to run alot. also they are power hungry as they are old technology. and some of them are Ammonia based for refrigerant so if one of the lines break your family will be unhappy. (my buddy broke one of these when his wife was pregnant and the whole house had to be evacuated for a couple hours)

i had one and tossed it as it just wasted too much energy and i couldn't find weatherstripping to replace the door seal. there are new one's on the market that look old but they are a lot of money.

if you find one that the door seal is in good condition i would buy it and use it. there is nothing cooler then those old unit's with the big latching handle's.

dave

Old 01-14-2009, 12:59 AM   #9
drayman86
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I know one thing about these antiques; they're typically NOT GROUNDED, resulting in a potential deadly electrocution hazard. Due to the age of the unit, the wiring has a good potential of being frayed and charging the whole damn thing.

I used to have one of these non-grounded fridges for a kegerrator. Do yourself (and your family) a favor and run find a good, unpainted spot on the frame or housing to attach a ground wire. A single strip of 14GA romex will work. Run that wire over to a water pipe and attach it w/ a "country boy" or similar grounding clamp.

These things have caused electrocution death in more than one individual.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:46 AM   #10
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

All I know is this one stay damned near freezing even on the 'warmer' setting...

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Quick Reply