Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Any Sabco Brew Magic Users Out There?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
checker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Any Sabco Brew Magic Users Out There?

Hi,

Are there any active brewmagic users out there? Our club has recently acquired a system and we're have some difficulty with various aspects of the fixture. I posted one question to the sabco forum that went unanswered. A second post never got past the moderator. Seems that forum is relatively inactive or closed to new users.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I believe Gilaminumbeer (an HBT member) has brewed on one for quite some time. If he doesn't respond to your thread (unlikely) you may think about sending him a PM.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
checker
Recipes 

Thanks

Old 05-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1536 Times on 1459 Posts
Likes Given: 52728

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickHead
I believe Gilaminumbeer (an HBT member) has brewed on one for quite some time. If he doesn't respond to your thread (unlikely) you may think about sending him a PM.
I think he was asking for active brew magic users, not owners of brew magic paper weights.
"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 4s.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 whipped dog straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel

Old 05-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
hadabar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wish I could say I was...

one day...

Old 05-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4752 Times on 4381 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I have had mine now for nearly 3 years and enjoy using it each time. My only gripe comes after the sale with respect to the Sabco policy of non-disclosure of their upgrades timing. Had I known they were completely redesigning the BM with thousands of dollars in extra features but still selling it for the standard price, or had I known they'd have no inclination to offer existing customers discounts on upgrade features, I'd have waited another 6 weeks to order.

Mine does everything it was reported to do and does it well. At the end of the day I do not regret buying a BM.

I would, however, suggest you look into some Acid #5, Gloves, and Goggles to ensure the rig gets thoroughly cleaned without need to dissassemble or wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickHead View Post
If he doesn't respond to your thread (unlikely)...
Is that a jab?

I think that was a jab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Club View Post
I think he was asking for active brew magic users, not owners of brew magic paper weights.
And who are you again? 3 point Brewing? Freethrow Ale House? Nuthing but net beverage co.?

Old 05-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Is that a jab?

I think that was a jab.
Not a jab. You're a frequent poster, and as a BM user I thought it unlikely that you would not respond to this thread. And if you didn't (for some unlikely reason) I pointed the OP in your direction.

Lay off those bongs...you're getting paranoid...

Old 05-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #8
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

One of my brewing buddies has an older model of the BM and likes it a lot. It's a proven design with a good track record. Pricey, but worth it if you are not a DIY'er type.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #9
checker
Recipes 

Excellent, thanks for the replies all.

The forum deserves an intro post from me...I'll do that shortly.

WRT the BM system, I'm getting wretched efficiencies, 60% or less. I'm using my traditional 1.3qt/# of grain and w/the false bottom, barely get liquid coverage of the grain. I suspect this is causing problems as I'm not getting the whirlpool effect and likely just channeling down the sides. I'll try a looser mash next time. Thoughts and what efficiencies are you getting?

Does your return hose entrain air? Mine does and I need to add a hose clamp to prevent this. The stub on the inside of the MT is short and clamping the hose is difficult. Do you have this problem and if so, what's your solution?

Our boiler burner is anemic at best. The slightest breeze sends it yellow and sooty and kills my boil. I've talked to sabco and they suggested increasing the pressure on the regulator (I did, marginally helped) and then perhaps reaming the orifices (brewing is such a naughty hobby!). I understand that older BMs were high pressure, jet engine type burners. Ours is low pressure, quiet. I'm considering replacing the regulator w/a high pressure one. Thoughts?

We also purchased the chill wizard. Works great but the motor or pump is very noisy. I'm wondering if this is typical of the unit or if we got a bum chiller.

Thanks for the guidance. I'm sure once I get the kinks out, I'll love the system. As it is, I just want to go home and brew on my keggle/gott.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
My only gripe comes after the sale with respect to the Sabco policy of non-disclosure of their upgrades timing. Had I known they were completely redesigning the BM with thousands of dollars in extra features but still selling it for the standard price, or had I known they'd have no inclination to offer existing customers discounts on upgrade features, I'd have waited another 6 weeks to order.
Wow. That sucks. Probably an honest business strategy, but not a kind one to their consumers. Effectiveness aside, that would put me off to the point where they would be extremely fortunate to get anything other than a poor reference from me.

Quick Reply