Any interest into a new, complete, electric brewhouse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaW

Reaction score
Im looking to import some complete brew systems from overseas, and I wanted to see if there was any interest. I have two manufacturers that have viable products, but I was curious which one would peak more interest. Both systems will be capable of doing a full boil for 50L (~13 gallons), run on 220v, use PID temperature controls, and include two jacketed conicals with the complete glycol system, and both system would have a similar price point - around $7800.

Now onto the differences:

One system would operate as a two vessel system (mashtun and boilkettle) with an optional HLT. Im waiting on revised pictures of this system, because the ones the manufacturer supplied me with were 100L.

The second system would operate similarly to the Speidel Braumeister, where you would pull a sieve out of the system, and let the runnings drip into the BK. This is similar to a BIAB setup, which is typically no sparge. If you wished to sparge you would simply add a second vessel or use a hot water on demand system (neither included). You can see a picture of this system here:
quSs5fF.jpg

Cost control is critical in beer production on a commercial scale. I wouldn't invest in a system that doesn't have a sparge option to rinse out the grains. You'll be wasting an additional 10-20% in your grain bills due to loss sparge efficiency.

A lot of systems available from overseas are cheap because they are made cheaply, with thin steel and cheap parts. If I were serious about building a commercial system for a brew pub or larger operation, I would either:

A) Contact a local fabricator (somebody who'se done work for other local breweries) and/or,
B) Select a domestic fabricator that will stand behind their work.

While it is definitely has some of the features of a higher end system, Im not really thinking of targeting commercial or pub brewers. Right now Im looking at it for myself, as well as anyone else who would like to have some of the more luxery features. I know a lot of people (myself included) are able to get low 70s doing BIAB, which is typically regarded as "good enough". With the added pump to recirculate, I would imagine those numbers bumping up slightly.

As far as construction quality, both manufactures build full size systems, and I have talked with brewery owners who have bought full size systems from them, as well as visited a brewery with a 20 BBL system built by the manufacturer of the single vessel system. Im sure US makers are turning out better systems, but these are in no way bad.

Thanks for the feedback though, I will definitely see what it would cost to get an HLT added to the first system as a standard feature, even if it raises the cost a little.

eight thousand dollars for a 10 gallon "biab-like" system that gets "good enough" efficiency?

is this a bad dream?

An HLT would not necessarily be required if you had on-demand 170 deg water (just a thought.)

Does the electrical element contact the mash directly or indirectly in the present configuration? In the HLT configuration?

If these are chinese made then I would be concerned about reliability of automation and rotary equipment parts. My experience is that that vessels and valves and basic instrumentation from china is adequate, but higher end instrumentation, pumps, agitators, and controllers are less reliable. Homebrewers don't like problems that aren't of their own making (we certainly have our share of those!)

Also, we can easily make a really nice system from Kal's plans for the same price, including the fermenters.

Just trying to be a good devil's advocate for you.

I think your gonna have a hard time convincing someone to jump ship and pay 8 grand for a untested (at least on this board) electric rig when blichmann is releasing a whole line of electric products. They have a pretty solid reputation and fan base. And then you have the braumiester. Both options are also significantly cheaper albeit not including conicals.

An HLT would not necessarily be required if you had on-demand 170 deg water (just a thought.)

Does the electrical element contact the mash directly or indirectly in the present configuration? In the HLT configuration?

If these are chinese made then I would be concerned about reliability of automation and rotary equipment parts. My experience is that that vessels and valves and basic instrumentation from china is adequate, but higher end instrumentation, pumps, agitators, and controllers are less reliable. Homebrewers don't like problems that aren't of their own making (we certainly have our share of those!)

Also, we can easily make a really nice system from Kal's plans for the same price, including the fermenters.

Just trying to be a good devil's advocate for you.

I welcome the critisizm! I like the concept of the system, and I may order one for myself regardless, but I dont want to lie to myself and pretend that other people might be interested in ordering them as well.

People pay $3000 for the 50L Braumeister systems, throw in the conicals, glycol system, CIP and we are pretty much there.

As far as the pumps go, the included pump is Chinese made, but since I dont trust their definition of "food safe", I would swap them out with a trusted pump, such as a Chugger pump.

In both setups there is an element below the false bottom and the pump runs to recirculate the mash.

The system I built from Kal's plans cost ~$4,500 and is a 30 gallon system...and it is awesome. I can make a keg's worth (I use sankes for fermenters) or two...and the components are fantastic. The one element missing for me are the fermenters and glycol system. The system really serves as its own CIP system - just use the pumps to recirc PBW or whatever you use!

Back