Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Any differences between plastic buckets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 01:14 AM   #1
Dellis0709
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Any differences between plastic buckets

I found alot of 6gallon plastic containers for cheap and was wondering if anyone knows the if there is a difference between the normal fermenting bucket and different shaped bucket if it would make a difference

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 01:16 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Looks like what the folks who do no chill brewing use, or something like it.

What's the recycling code on the bottom?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-21-2010, 01:19 AM   #3
Dellis0709
Recipes 

dont know i havent pursched them yet but they only was $5 for each one.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:30 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

They really should be <1> or <2> to use them. One of the brand names folks use are aquatainers.

The biggest issue with things that are opaque like that, and have lots of nooks and crannies is cleanliness and sanitization, after the first use, you really need to make sure there is no biomatter, such as trub left in those odd spaces.

A good hot soak with oxyclean will knock most of the stuff loose, and then a couple thorough rinsings.

You may want to get a dental mirror and a bendy flashlight to do visual inspections afterword, to make sure there is no biomatter left in that.

They are fine to use, but honestly I prefer something I can visual inspect, like a standard bucket or a clear carboy.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-21-2010, 03:12 AM   #5
boogyman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

FYI.. you can get a 7 gallon bucket that's FDA approved for temps up to 190F for ~$9 at www.usplastics.com

Quick Reply