Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Antique bench capper denting bottles, sticking

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 12:41 AM   #1
Geordan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Antique bench capper denting bottles, sticking

Hey all,

I bought a (very, very old) bench capper at the flea market this weekend for $20. I knew I was taking a chance, but I was pretty excited, so it came home with me.

Now that I'm trying it, I'm having two issues: one, bottles are sticking inside of it once capped; I found a thread with this issue, and found most people are just gentle pulling the bottles out. However, it's also leaving a nasty dent on one side of each cap, from where the bell is welded on. In an old thread from 2009, there were some vague references to "gaskets" and "stoppers" being worn out -- but mine doesn't look like it has anything. Should a bench capper have a rubber grommet/pad/etc on the inside of the bell to prevent sticking and marking?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I have 2 antique bench cappers. I have to admit I don't understand and can't picture what you mean by denting. But Mine almost always wind up with the bottle stuck in them. I usually just twist gently and it comes right out!

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 06-18-2012, 01:39 AM   #3
Jdk261
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Don't pull straight down. Just pull the bottom of the bottle towards you and it should come right out.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
Geordan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germelli1 View Post
I have 2 antique bench cappers. I have to admit I don't understand and can't picture what you mean by denting. But Mine almost always wind up with the bottle stuck in them. I usually just twist gently and it comes right out!
It quite literally dents the top of the cap. Inside the bell, there is the circular middle section where the bell was welded to the stalk; the "back" side of this weld/connection leaves a nasty mark on the section of the cap it comes in contact with, almost as if you'd taken a flat-headed screwdriver and stabbed the cap.

It makes sense to me that bench cappers might have a rubber gasket/pad inside the bell; another HBT thread has a user saying he added garden hose gaskets with glue inside of his. I was wondering if there was a specific thickness, type, etc of gasket or pad I should be looking at.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordan View Post
It quite literally dents the top of the cap. Inside the bell, there is the circular middle section where the bell was welded to the stalk; the "back" side of this weld/connection leaves a nasty mark on the section of the cap it comes in contact with, almost as if you'd taken a flat-headed screwdriver and stabbed the cap.

It makes sense to me that bench cappers might have a rubber gasket/pad inside the bell; another HBT thread has a user saying he added garden hose gaskets with glue inside of his. I was wondering if there was a specific thickness, type, etc of gasket or pad I should be looking at.
Ah, got it! I will check mine when I get home and see what it has to offer. I don't ever remember a rubber grommet on mine and they don't dent (that I have noticed). But if it did, I would start by looking at the Grolsch bottle gaskets or like you said, a garden hose gasket.

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 06-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My capper from the 60's makes a circular indentation in the top.. like as if you took a 1/4" flat punch to it. No effect on sealing.. just don't look purdy. When I go to ID this summer, I may take the plunger and have my son make me a washer that'll fit in there and try that on for size.. but, otherwise.. no issue other than esthetics.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
Saxomophone
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Just saw this thread and I'm having the same issue so I was wondering if the original poster ever solved the problem.

My worry is that the capper has worn out and expanded from years of use so that now the middle is pressing down on the bottle cap and leaving a dent. Would this have a bad effect on the beer for some reason? I have owned the capper for a long time and I think the depression has gotten deeper over the years.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
BargainFittings
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There should be a rubber gasket in the bell on most of these cappers. Like this one:

capper.jpg  

Wayne

Stainless Weldless kits and Flat $5.00 shipping to USA 50 States!
NEW - KENT CARBONATION CAPS AND QUICK DISCONNECTS

BargainFittings.com

People Like This 
Old 08-10-2012, 02:36 AM   #9
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have a wing capper i bought used, steel, "brev" brand, made in italy, that puts a neat circular dent in every cap. It is probably missing a gasket like these.

Thing is, I just noticed that the sixer of my boring pale ale that i started conditioning a month ago, some of those bottles, the dent is popped back out . . .

Old 08-10-2012, 05:15 AM   #10
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BargainFittings View Post
There should be a rubber gasket in the bell on most of these cappers. Like this one:
Thanks for that. I don't remember a washer.. but, I'll bet it was there... at one time. The other thing missing on mine is the piece of linoleum or tile "coaster" at the bottom so the bottle doesn't come in contact with the cast iron base.

Quick Reply