Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Another quick disconnect question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 02:01 AM   #1
dunleav1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Another quick disconnect question

I'm building a single tier stand and for now I'm going to use barb hose connections on my keggles. The quick disconnects look like the way to go but that's a lot of cash for disconnects.

I see a lot of guys pics with all stainless components on their keggles except for the brass quick connects.

Why spend all the extra cash on the stainless ball valves and MPT fittings and then kinda go cheap on disconnects?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I'm using nylon garden hose type fittings for all connections. Much cheaper and only slightly less convenient to use. I prefer the nylon as it doesn't retain much heat energy making handling the fittings much easier. As for SS, it's top notch, but other than for the kettles I don't use it. I have no qualms about using brass valves and other fittings and it's a lot less expensive way to go. Stainless is pretty and for some it seems to satisfy a fetish of sorts, but I have a hard time justifying the expense.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I agree with your stainless sentiments. I made a commitment to go stainless and don't see any reason why I would put any brass on my system now. It will take me a lot longer to collect all my parts, but it doesn't make sense to me to use a mix of both. If I was using brass, I would just skip the other stainless stuff.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm sending mine out for plating once the prize money comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 02-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
I'm using nylon garden hose type fittings for all connections. Much cheaper and only slightly less convenient to use. I prefer the nylon as it doesn't retain much heat energy making handling the fittings much easier. As for SS, it's top notch, but other than for the kettles I don't use it. I have no qualms about using brass valves and other fittings and it's a lot less expensive way to go. Stainless is pretty and for some it seems to satisfy a fetish of sorts, but I have a hard time justifying the expense.
What kind of temps are those good to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 02-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSR402 View Post
What kind of temps are those good to?
I bought them from U.S. Plastics:

Nylon Swivel Female Insert x 3/4" GHT - US Plastic Corporation

The specs list -40 F to 200 F. I've not had any problems moving hot wort and hot water using them. They don't get soft or anything like that at the higher temperatures. They seem to be able to handle anything we home brewers can throw at them.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:21 PM   #7
dunleav1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
I agree with your stainless sentiments. I made a commitment to go stainless and don't see any reason why I would put any brass on my system now. It will take me a lot longer to collect all my parts, but it doesn't make sense to me to use a mix of both. If I was using brass, I would just skip the other stainless stuff.

Yea, I thought I might have been missing something there.

Quick Reply