Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Another good use for Starsan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2007, 03:31 PM   #41
JustDave
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike N Brew
Worked fine on my DB bottle, though I had to give it a once-over with a scotchbrite after a couple days to help it along, then soak for another couple days.
Hmmm, weird. I used a Scotchbrite pad now, and nothing's coming off. Oh well, I'll give it more time. It's only 3 bottles, no big deal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2007, 09:08 PM   #42
kvh
Recipes 

Alas, I just soaked a Red Stripe bottle for 3 weeks... nothin'. The red ink came off a little, but the white is stuck on.

Oh well...

kvh

Primary Fermentor -

Secondary - Mystery IPA
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Keg Conditioning -

Draft: - Apfelwein, Belgian-style Dubbel w/ Grains of Paradise
Bottles:(and still in stock): FIRST AG - (I)IPA 4.1.07, PK's Warm Spring Marzen, Summer Cerveza -BANG, PK's Winter Spice II, Espresso Stout, Indiana Pale Ale, PK's Chocolate Bitter II, Porterfield Porter, and New Year's 2006 remnants.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:37 PM   #43
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've found that scrubbing after soaking does not work as well as giving them a rinse, then letting them dry before going at them with a scotch pad under water again.

I think the drying after soaking makes the paint brittle and it loses its ability to adhere to the bottle.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:41 PM   #44
ρMσ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by talleymonster
What does RO stand for?
i believe it stands for Reverse Osmosis purified water

Old 01-15-2008, 09:53 PM   #45
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

KVH did you ever re-try the red stripe bottles any success....

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 01-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #46
Nierika
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I tried out the star san on 3 Rogue 22oz Dead Guy bottles. After soaking overnight, I was able to simply wipe away the white paint with a scrubbie. The red paint seems to be on there a little better, but will come off with a little elbow grease. I opted to throw them back into the star san for another day. I'll let everyone know if the red comes off easily tomorrow.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." ~Theodore Roosevelt

Old 01-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #47
NitrouStang96

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This is fantastic news. I'm going to see if I can get 24hr turnaround with a high SS concentration. I will report back.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #48
NitrouStang96

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Click for thread... 2 hour soak

Old 01-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #49
Nierika
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just an update. After letting the bottles soak for another 24 hours, the red paint was coming off easily in some places. I threw them back in the starsan overnight, and this morning I removed the remaining paint with a light scrub Thank's Ed!

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." ~Theodore Roosevelt

Old 11-19-2008, 03:00 PM   #50
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Well I've tried this repeated over the last couple weeks and had some interesting things happen...

Stone Bottles clean off beautifully....

Rogue and Mexican Coke bottles do not seem give up their paint EVEN when using the solution at double the recommended strength of stars & water.

I soaked them with the stones and redstripes for 2 weeks at regular strength...then mixed up the 2 ounces/5 gallons...and still no luck after another 2 weeks...

The most interesting thing was Redstripe Bottles....

I had 12 bottles...6 of them have been stored under my sink for about 4 years...and six more I got this summer from my nextdoor neighbor...

Well six of them came clean in the regular strength concentration of starsan water after 2 weeks...

The other six are still just as solid after soaking in the double strength solution with the rogue and mexican coke bottles....

I wish I had thought to mark which stripe bottles were which, to know if it was the older bottles that came clean or not...methinks maybe redstripe changed the chemistry of their paint at some point.

So, I guess mucuraic acid is next?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply