Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Another Cornelius Keg Question - Gluing Handles back on

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
RobertHSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Another Cornelius Keg Question - Gluing Handles back on

what would be an appropriate glue to reattach a loose cornelius keg top and bottom? I was thinking of using liquid nails project. Does anyone have anything they have used with success?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4619 Times on 4307 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertHSmith
what would be an appropriate glue to reattach a loose cornelius keg top and bottom? I was thinking of using liquid nails project. Does anyone have anything they have used with success?
I've had this happen exactly once. Went to pick up the keg and the top came right off.

I chose to use a Marine Epoxy I found at Lowes that listed it was capable of bonding rubber to metal and was (obviously) resistant to moisture.

Ever since that day I am leery of picking up full kegs by the hadles.

I am pretty sure it was Loctite 3026;

http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/lo...Marine%20Epoxy

Last edited by GilaMinumBeer; 03-13-2008 at 03:21 PM.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
BrewSapiens
Nobody
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've never had to glue one back on but I believe people had luck with
Gorilla Glue. I've heard that stuff will stick a fart to the wall.(no experience with that either.)

Old 03-13-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
RobertHSmith

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i've heard gorilla glue also from a friend who does a lot of work on suped up foreign cars. I'll need to do some more research I guess

Old 04-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
RobertHSmith

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Update,

Gorilla glue didn't do a good job, even when I prepped the surface. I had 6 to use the glue on.

My method. I prepped 3 of them really well, used emory cloth to prep the areas to be glued, wiped them and then used a sponge brush to wet them, then used the glue. The other three I didn't do any prep work and only wet them. I put around 100 lbs of weights from my workout bench/barbells on each keg to hold the tops/bottoms down against the force from the expanding glue

The bottoms/tops that I glued came loose with minimal effort, prepped and non-prepped, probably less than 20lbs of force. I wouldn't trust the any of the bonds to hold with 5 gallons of beer in it.

I will most likely make handles with some cording that goes around the bottom of the keg and use stiff vinyl tubing for handles. The down side is that I could have bought the cording and polyethelyne tubing for less than the cost of the "pricy" gorilla glue

Old 04-04-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4619 Times on 4307 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertHSmith
Update,

Gorilla glue didn't do a good job, even when I prepped the surface. I had 6 to use the glue on.

My method. I prepped 3 of them really well, used emory cloth to prep the areas to be glued, wiped them and then used a sponge brush to wet them, then used the glue. The other three I didn't do any prep work and only wet them. I put around 100 lbs of weights from my workout bench/barbells on each keg to hold the tops/bottoms down against the force from the expanding glue

The bottoms/tops that I glued came loose with minimal effort, prepped and non-prepped, probably less than 20lbs of force. I wouldn't trust the any of the bonds to hold with 5 gallons of beer in it.

I will most likely make handles with some cording that goes around the bottom of the keg and use stiff vinyl tubing for handles. The down side is that I could have bought the cording and polyethelyne tubing for less than the cost of the "pricy" gorilla glue
I tried to tell you...Loctite Marine.....but NOOOOOOOO! You just had to bring in the Gorilla.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wish I'd read this sooner, I could have saved you some trouble. Gorilla Glue is all hype. I tried it once to bond plastic to plastic in a harsh environment and it didn't last two days. At the same time, I used it to bond wood to wood in a temp controlled, indoor environment and that project didn't last a week.

Go with the Loctite or a 2-part epoxy. Yeah, the 2-part epoxies smell and may get warm until they set, but they work.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #8
Wade E
Beer Buster

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I am a wood worker and can tell you Gorilla glue sucks! i would give that locktite a try as they make great products. If that doesnt work ge some Flammable contact cement from Home depot or any hardware store. Dont get the non-flammable stuff as its no where near as good. This is the glue you use for doing countertops and i have used it to glue wood to metal and IT HOLDS!!!!!

Old 04-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #9
gaffrig24
Recipes 

I just glued the bottom onto one of my kegs with 3M 5200 marine caulking. It takes a long time to dry but it will hold anything. It's used in the marine industry to fasten things together that you NEVER want to take apart. You can get it for a caulk gun or in a small toothpaste type tube.

The klop, klop of water under the bows of a small sailboat will cure most troubles in this world.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I wish I had read this earlier too. At work, we found that 190° water WILL remove the handle from a Corny.

We also tried Gorilla Glue with no success. I'd try the marine epoxy. We just got more kegs...

American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Quick Reply