Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Another BrewSteel: BadAss Brewstands

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 04:40 AM   #1
horric29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Another BrewSteel: BadAss Brewstands

Hi All,
Figured I would start a new thread as I just placed an order with Kurt at BrewSteel with his BadAss Brewstands. I'll keep this thread updated as the process moves along.

So far Kurt has been INCREDIBLY helpful as I was starting off with only a single tier system in mind. I've been following the threads around from the Blichmann Top Tier systems to the Brewers Equipment threads. I was a bit leary about all of the hold-ups and issues mentioned in regards to Brewers Equipment so I started working with Kurt on my ideal setup.

It's taken about 2 weeks with daily emails to come up with the final design but, we're going with a single tier, 2 15 gallon, 1 20 gallon kettle setup. Everything from a 120v RIMS system on the MLT, to water filtration from my well, a BCS control system, trub/hop filter, and a plate chiller. This will be a mixed system with Propane and the RIMS for the MLT. An all-electric system just isn't in the cards with my present property situation.

So stick here to see the progress as Kurt has promised pictures. He also provided an at latest delivery of November 23rd so keep it here!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 04:41 AM   #2
horric29
Recipes 

Forgot to mention, those two weeks were filled with page long emails from Kurt explaining away all my questions and options! Just wanted that clarification!

Old 10-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
mcl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This sounds like what I have in mind for a brewstand. Would you be willing to share the price?

Old 10-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
horric29
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcl View Post
This sounds like what I have in mind for a brewstand. Would you be willing to share the price?
I would rather not, just in-case my wife is trolling the boards. LOL. Actually I'm not sure how to break it down for you. I sort of worked out a package deal with some additional items, fittings, and such. I'd get in touch with Kurt and check out what your looking for. I actually customized down to the fittings, style, burners, solenoids, etc. If you need the kettles to, I would say you're looking at around $4,000 the way I customized it, I figured it would be best to have them fit-out the kettles I was looking for, saves me time. I see on their website they have setups at around $1,350. Two 15 gallon and a 20 gallon kettle really run up the vast majority of the cost. I'm starting off fresh here from a simple extract operation. I figure if you're going to do it, do it right! I was consulting with a friend who's been doing All-Grain for years and has a very similair setup. Kurt and crew are great and talked me into and out of certain routes I was going to take. I can't say enough so far!

Old 10-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
horric29
Recipes 

Update Time

Kurt has been sending me emails several times a week keeping me informed of the progress of my build. So here's where we are at... The steel is in, the kettles are in, and the BCS is in, along with the false bottom for the MLT. See some shiny pictures below:

So we've been talking about the design and I think we're heading in the direction of the following with the manual overrides, ignitor buttons, pump siwtches, etc in the panel like a propane grill:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/grea...ml#post2865505

From there he's going to have a NEMA housing with the BCS, ignition modules, etc. This is going to be quite interesting to see it come to life! Still incredibly impressed!

Old 10-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
horric29
Recipes 

Default Kettles are finished!

The kettles are all fitted out now per the update I recieved a few nights ago... Just awaiting a few more pieces I believe and we should start seeing some updates from the stand build...

Boil Kettle

Mash Tun

HLT

Old 10-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
horric29
Recipes 

Default Update #3

Just recieved another update last night from Kurt... Seems that some of the welding work has been done on the stand. Attached are the pictures from the single-tier below...

Old 10-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #8
Coldies
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Those kettles and stand look like crap, once you get them you should send them to me for proper disposal. In all seriousness, awesome man!!! I'm in the process of swapping out all my weldless stuff to welded fittings, one tig weld at a time.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #9
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

The kettles aren't tig welded. They are swaged and soldered. We've been using the technique for awhile with great success.

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 10-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #10
horric29
Recipes 

Default Another Update...

Another update for the masses! Kurt finished up some drop-in burners over the weekend. These things look pretty sweet!

Quick Reply