The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Another Banjo Burner Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
HalfPint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Another Banjo Burner Question

Alright, I've recently made the jump to doing mainly 10 gallon batches. I currently have a cheap turkey fryer (jet burner) and although it does boil 12 gallons of wort, it doesn't ever get it up to a rolling boil. I'm considering buying a new burner, but I'm torn on which one to buy.

I've read countless threads and have found that banjo/hurricane burners have a few problems, but are they really that large of a concern?

The problem that concerns me is how they eat through a typical 17 lb propane tank.

Should I just go with a bayou classic or should I make the quality jump to a banjo?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Wellllll,
Everyone is going to give you a different answer. Here are a couple of threads about what I've learned. I have only done 5 gal. batches with my new rig, but I can do 2 and a partial with 17 gal. of propane. If you have to have a stand, that will also dictate your choices.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/hurr...burner-106183/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/10-banjo-burner-111177/

Luck - Dwain

Old 10-31-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I use Hurricane with NG - works great. Either burner will do the job, advantage for Hurricane is easy conversion to NG if you ever need to. Not sure of the problems you mention as I don't have any with mine.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
peripatetic
Recipes 

I have the Banjo Burner, and I have never used the Hurricane. I love it -- I can get 4 gallons of water boiling in no time. It sounds like a jet engine. BUT -- a word of warning in terms of propane usage: as I said in another thread, the Banjo is like a Hummer. It'll do the job, but it is a freakin' gas guzzler. I've heard of people boiling for 3-5 hours with one tank of propane, but I can boil for a max of 2 hours, and sometimes not that if it if cold and/or windy outside (even gentle breezes seems to affect it -- last time I had to set up a windscreen, even though I was inside my carport).

I am not going to replace it, but if it ever breaks I probably will not buy another one. YMMV.

-------------------------------------------------
Donated all of my gear to my Paduan Learner before recent move to West Coast. Now I get to buy all new stuff, but I certainly don't have anything brewing right now!

Old 11-01-2009, 02:23 AM   #5
HalfPint
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
I have the Banjo Burner, and I have never used the Hurricane. I love it -- I can get 4 gallons of water boiling in no time. It sounds like a jet engine. BUT -- a word of warning in terms of propane usage: as I said in another thread, the Banjo is like a Hummer. It'll do the job, but it is a freakin' gas guzzler. I've heard of people boiling for 3-5 hours with one tank of propane, but I can boil for a max of 2 hours, and sometimes not that if it if cold and/or windy outside (even gentle breezes seems to affect it -- last time I had to set up a windscreen, even though I was inside my carport).

I am not going to replace it, but if it ever breaks I probably will not buy another one. YMMV.
What do you think you would buy? Would you buy a bayou classic or something?

Old 11-01-2009, 10:49 PM   #6
peripatetic
Recipes 

Well, I need to revise my estimate of the Banjo burner because I'm an idiot. It turns out I had a bad tank, and it wouldn't maintain pressure once it was half empty. Last time I switched out tanks instead of refilling, and now I've brewed 2.5 times with the same tank -- that's over 3 hours of usage -- and it still isn't out.

So, yeah, if this thing breaks I would _definitely_ get another one! One thing I forgot to mention is that it is built like a freakin' tank -- it is a heavy, solid piece of metal that feels like it can take a beating.

-------------------------------------------------
Donated all of my gear to my Paduan Learner before recent move to West Coast. Now I get to buy all new stuff, but I certainly don't have anything brewing right now!

Old 11-01-2009, 11:38 PM   #7
HalfPint
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Well, I need to revise my estimate of the Banjo burner because I'm an idiot. It turns out I had a bad tank, and it wouldn't maintain pressure once it was half empty. Last time I switched out tanks instead of refilling, and now I've brewed 2.5 times with the same tank -- that's over 3 hours of usage -- and it still isn't out.

So, yeah, if this thing breaks I would _definitely_ get another one! One thing I forgot to mention is that it is built like a freakin' tank -- it is a heavy, solid piece of metal that feels like it can take a beating.
Idk if you use a keggle, but if you do does it sit on there or did you have to modify it?

Old 11-01-2009, 11:46 PM   #8
SporkD2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwain View Post
Wellllll,
Everyone is going to give you a different answer. Here are a couple of threads about what I've learned. I have only done 5 gal. batches with my new rig, but I can do 2 and a partial with 17 gal. of propane. If you have to have a stand, that will also dictate your choices.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/hurr...burner-106183/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/10-banjo-burner-111177/

Luck - Dwain
I'm not sure about those times Dwain. I have the banjo and just did a 10g batch today. I had to turn the burner down because I was getting my 12g of wort to a boil before my MLT was done draining.

I love the banjo, its quiet and powerful. I can usually get 3-4 batches out of one tank

None :(

Old 11-02-2009, 12:07 AM   #9
hopvine
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
What do you think you would buy? Would you buy a bayou classic or something?
Is there a difference between the Banjo Burner and a Bayou Classic? I thought there were the same thing, as shown at Northern Brewer
http://www.northernbrewer.com/defaul...and-stand.html

Old 11-02-2009, 12:16 AM   #10
jimmcs06
Recipes 

I agree, what is the difference, I bought my burner used, but is has the bayou classic emblem on the side of it, has a high pressure regulator on it, and 10inch burner, I can get 5 brews plus a partial brew on mine. 5 gal brews, heating for all grain, boiling 7 gal each time.

Quick Reply