Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Another aquarium pump thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
Islandboy85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Another aquarium pump thread

I've seen a few very similar aquarium pump threads that talk about using a pump to aireate the wort. I just picked up a pump at Walmart that is designed for a 5-15 gallon aquarium. Its max output is 1200 ci per minute. Is that enough output for a five or ten gallon batch. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a formula to figure out how long to aireate your wort for when you have a given output volume. Or, does it matter, just blow bubbles for a while and pitch your yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
jaxn
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Most places I've read say to use one of those for 20-30 minutes.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

The pump that I've seen sold with a lot of the brew stores looks like the same one sold at walmart that is rated for a sixty gallon tank, that's why I was wondering if I needed to do it longer since my pump has about a quarter of the output capacity. It seems like it's more of just an art than a science. Bubble some air to help fermentation, pitch yeast, go sit back and drink the last batch.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
jaxn
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy85 View Post
The pump that I've seen sold with a lot of the brew stores looks like the same one sold at walmart that is rated for a sixty gallon tank, that's why I was wondering if I needed to do it longer since my pump has about a quarter of the output capacity. It seems like it's more of just an art than a science. Bubble some air to help fermentation, pitch yeast, go sit back and drink the last batch.
Oh. I see.

Yeah. I think it's more an art. Personally, I don't even use my aquarium pump any more. I just splash my wort around a lot on the sides of the carboy while draining from the BK and then rock the full carboy around for about a minute after pitching. No problems so far.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Ah, but some of us love our gadgets!!!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
android
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i've got that same pump from walmart and have had really good success running it through a sterile filter with a few stainless steel nuts on the end with the airstone to hold it on the bottom of the fermenter. i normally run it for about 30 minutes or until i get sick of cleaning up all the foam that pours out the top. works great!

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 01-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

If you aireate in your BK or a bucket before you transfer it to your fermenter does it cut down on foaming?

Old 01-06-2010, 12:57 AM   #8
GreenMonti
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

From what I understand of aquarium air pumps is. The gallonage rating is there to let you know how deep the pump can push the air. A 5-15 gallon air pump should not give you any fuss. As the others who use them have said. The depth of your carboy is about right.

I don't know why they rate the pumps by gallonage. It doesn't make any sense. A column of water that is 20" tall and holds 2 gallons is the same pressure (depth wise) as a column 20" tall and holds 200 gallons or what ever gallons.

It is gonna foam no matter where you do it. But by doing it in the fermentor, you wont be kicking up all the sluge that you left behind in the boil kettle.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:00 AM   #9
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Have you ever used the normal aquarium stone as opposed to a stainless stone? I was wondering how to sterilize the stone - do you boil it, soak it in a sterilizing solution, or just throw it out cause it costs a buck?

Old 01-06-2010, 02:20 AM   #10
GreenMonti
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy85 View Post
Have you ever used the normal aquarium stone as opposed to a stainless stone? I was wondering how to sterilize the stone - do you boil it, soak it in a sterilizing solution, or just throw it out cause it costs a buck?
I use O2 to aireate. I use the O2 in a way I can't use a stone. I just bubble the O2 up through the wort.

I have never used an aquarium pump for this purpose. I don't think the use of the aquarium stone is a good idea. But, like I say I don't really know about that.

Quick Reply