New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Ammonia residue on bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #1
Khirsah17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ammonia residue on bottles?

Hello all,

A little while back I bought a huge tupperware container to sanitize bottles and remove labels. I filled it up with water and added the appropriate amount of ammonia and added bottles. After a few days, it worked like a charm and most of the labels had fallen off. So I've continued to use this technique, however, I've been noticing something I can't explain. About half my bottles exhibit a white residue on the tops and inside the bottle. Almost like salt. You can scrape some of it off, but its pretty resistant. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Is I put beer in the bottle, is it going to be bad for someone to drink?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2007, 07:03 PM   #2
desertbronze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When I bottled, I also used ammonia - got the same residue. I learned to rinse the bottles immediately after removal from the ammonia solution. I never noticed any off flavor from it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply