Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > amazon 2 gallong cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
SRTBREW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default amazon 2 gallong cooler

Hey guys does this look like it will work for partial mash? I don't want to go bigger than 2 gallon. I was wondering if the curved sides would have a large effect on the batch sparge?http://www.amazon.com/Igloo-MaxCold-...1625499&sr=1-1

Di etna beera?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I've used a 2 gallon for small pms before, that actually looks nicer than mine...but honestly the 4 pounds of grain you can only use in there limits you in the pm department...With a 3 gallon you can do 6 pounds of grain....

I looked forever for a 3 gallon and yesterday I broke down and bought a 5 gallon for 18 dollars at walmart....that can hold 10-12 pounds of grain..I really resisted doing it because I live in a loft and have very little space...but the flexibility afforded by the amount of grain you can mash with really is worth the larger size...I guess I'll use it as an end table or something....

But yeah if you understand that you'll be limited to 4 pounds of grain then it's a great cooler...

Are you planning to put a braid in or use it unmodified....If you go with it unmodified I can't recommend enough using a large grain bag and putting a folding steamer like this in the bottom,

(unscrew or break off the center post)

Using the strainer lifts the grainbag above the level of the spigot and prevent stuck sparges.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-24-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
SRTBREW
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good advice, and I think for now I'll just stick with the 2 gallon. where would I find that folding steamer? Oh and I am going with a grain bag.

Di etna beera?

Old 05-24-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That folding steamer can be bought at kitchen supply places or places like Bed Bath and Beyond, Kohl's, etc.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 05-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
That folding steamer can be bought at kitchen supply places or places like Bed Bath and Beyond, Kohl's, etc.
And Kmarts (The Martha Stewart Large steamer is the shizzel, and the center post unscrews) , even where the pots and pans are found in most grocery stores.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-24-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 441

The very top you’re going to get in there is 5 lbs of grain. For a single infusion partial mash you can get by with that, but I don’t think it’s worth sticking that close to your minimum requirements. Even with a partial mash there may be time when you may want to add infusions such as a protein rest or a mash out. Even adding rice hulls to a sticky mash could become a problem.

I have a 3 gallon Igloo that works nicely for partial mashes and even 3 gallon AG batches. That would be the minimum I would recommend. The 3 gallon cooler is a good compliment to the 12 gallon Rubbermaid I uses for larger batches. And if it’s price that you are concerned with, my Rubbermaid was only $15 from Walmart.

Good luck.

Edit:
I think that 5 gallons is kind of a no mans land. Extra head space for most partial mash, too tight for all types of AG.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
SRTBREW
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow excellent advice here. I think I will switch to the 3 gallon and use the steamer thingymabobber. I'm sure it won't hurt to have a little extra room for the same price in case I want to do a larger mash.

Di etna beera?

Old 05-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTBREW View Post
Wow excellent advice here. I think I will switch to the 3 gallon and use the steamer thingymabobber. I'm sure it won't hurt to have a little extra room for the same price in case I want to do a larger mash.
I think that's a great idea, like i said earlier I would have like to have found a 3 gallon myself, I hit every big box store between where I live and where I work and had no luck...that's why I settled on the 5 gallon....

Old 05-24-2008, 04:06 PM   #9
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My PM's were done in a stainless 6gal pot. I brought water to temp, added grain, placed in an oven (which I kept at mash temperature, checked with a thermometer). Drain wort through a strainer, sparge the same way, and then proceed.

Worked like a charm!

Eric

Old 05-25-2008, 08:07 AM   #10
SRTBREW
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well......I looked around my area and all I could find was a 2 gallon and 5 gallon water cooler. I went ahead and got the 2 gallon, but I will keep my eyes open for a 3 gallon. I will be doing my first pm tonight. Wish me luck!

Di etna beera?

Quick Reply