Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Always clean your mash tun immediately after brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #1
JoshJoshua
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Always clean your mash tun immediately after brewing

For anyone who is thinking about postponing your mash tun cleaning til a later day. DONT!!!

I got lazy after a late night of brewing and thought I'd leave the mash tun to clean another day. Well a couple days later I open to clean it and we have a quadruple imperial sour beer. Mold, decomposition, and alcohol are smells that are not meant to be mixed. Only left about a inch of grains in it and it turned into a mold party with about 3 cups of wort remaining.

So lesson learned always clean everything the day of brewing.

Now Im boiling multiple pots of water and scrubbing the smell away. After most of the smell is gone Ill be letting it set in starsans for a day and then boil some more water to finish cleaning and killing everything.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
Joeywhat
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I tossed a large grain bag full of about 5-6 pounds of various (spent) grain right into my garbage can once. Didn't really think about putting it in a plastic bag or anything.

Went out several days later to toss in some more garbage (this was in the summer, so it was quite warm) and thought I was going to die when I opened the lid. Words cannot express how foul that smelled.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 726 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Yikes! Last September, I put my grains in a bag and put the bag into a bucket intending to bring it to the in-laws' place to put in their composter. That was some nasty stuff after a day or two.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
jpalarchio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I always spread my grains out on a plastic tarp in the garage and let them dry out for a couple days. The smell is great and once they dry up, they're easy to send out in the compost recycling.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
Clayton
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

just sling that **** out real thin across the grass, its gone in a day if you spread it out reall good. mow afterward if you feel the compultion

Old 12-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1887 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 2709

Somebody on this site once described decomposing spent grain, as a smell similar to human decomposition.

The most putrid smell will come up if you let mashed grains decompose near your home and don't just dump them in the local greenwaste pickup.. I'm sure they smell just as bad when dumped at the disposal site but at least that's not your home.

I dump spent grain in my compost pile and they stink to high heavan after a few days. Great part is. The stuff makes fantastic fertilizer/potting soil.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
atlantatexas
Recipes 

I feed my spent grains and used hops to my chickens not sure the nutrional value but the love them. Then they leave me a really compostable material.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
jgaepi
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Get some chickens. As long as you didn't hop directly in the mash tun, they will gobble that stuff up and be so much happier for it.

1st Brew: Black IPA
2nd Brew: Pilsener Urquell Clone
3rd Brew: Pliny the Elder Clone
4th Brew: Dogfish Head 90min IPA Clone

Old 12-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
tv187u
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaepi
Get some chickens. As long as you didn't hop directly in the mash tun, they will gobble that stuff up and be so much happier for it.
I thought it was turkeys that gobbled, not chickens.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #10
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 41 Posts

I got a 6' x6' open top compost pile, and if you spread the grains out on top the dry up without stinking too much. I can only imagine what they would smell like in a inclosed compost box or a trash can.

I agree with Dan. Great for the garden.

Quick Reply