Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Aluminum vs Stainless

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
Slowfro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Aluminum vs Stainless

Hey all, I'm looking at stepping up volume capacities after a failed beer this weekend and need some help. My current brew kettle is approximately 4-gallon capacity, so I'm looking at a larger stock pot/LP gas cooker system (turkey fryer comes to mind). My only hesitation with buying a turkey fryer for brewing is the stock pot is aluminum and not stainless. Will the AL be fine considering the duration of heat applied for brewing or should I drop the money to get stainless?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
whoneedsabeer
Recipes 

Aluminum is fine to use as a boil kettle.

Check out the "This vs. That" sticky in the beginners forum.

Also, John Palmer's How To Brew has a good appendix on how to care for aluminum, and how to clean it, and more importantly, how NOT to clean it.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1901 Times on 1880 Posts
Likes Given: 5

As long as you boil water in the aluminum pot prior to using it, you should have no problems. I bought a new 30 qt aluminum pot this weekend. Boiled 6 gal of water in it Sat and brewed on Sun. The boiling water helps to seal the pores in the aluminum. You will see a change in the "color" of the inside of the pot. It will get much more dull once it's where it needs to be.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
oceanselv
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Aluminum pots work very well. The only down side to the pot typically included with a turkey fryer kit is its size. A 30 quart pot is enough for 5 gallon batches. However, you have to be very diligent in preventing boil overs. I made the move to a 40 quart stainless on my last batch. I had no problems with boil overs. I did have a problem in reaching a boil. My turkey fryer has the typical burner and a 5 PSI regulator. Using this set up it took me an hour to reach a boil. Last week I bought a new banjo burner with a 10 PSI regulator and boiled 6 gallons of water in 25 minutes.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
Slowfro
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Excellent, thanks for the tips!

Quick Reply