New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Aluminum vs. Stainless

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2005, 02:44 PM   #1
baudler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Aluminum vs. Stainless

I was reading on someone’s site that they just bought the turkey fryer setup from Wal-Mart. I was confused because I thought aluminum was bad to use for home brewing – something about pores in the metal that bacteria can hide in or something. When I started brewing I spent the money for a good 3 gallon stainless pot. The turkey fryer setup is $50 for everything except the propane tank. I sure would like to switch to this since I could do a 5 gallon wort instead of a 2 gallon, plus I could brew out in the garage instead of the kitchen. Any truth to this aluminum-is-bad myth I heard?

Thanks guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2005, 02:52 PM   #2
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

There are other threads here about the aluminium thing. The pore/sanitation thing makes no difference because you're cooking the wort.

The aluminium story I have always heard is that it may cause alzheimers if you cook with it. The links are unproven as far as I know, and aluminium is certainly used extensively in all sorts of cooking.

I use stainless (converted keg) because that's the easiest and cheapest solution for me. But I have used aluminium in the past, and never worried about it too much. Time will tell I suppose.

Cheers

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 07-28-2005, 01:43 AM   #3
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just posted this to another thread, but I'll repeat it here. As Janx stated, aluminum pros & cons have been discussed here before. There really is no hard scientific evidence that aluminum is harmful for doing your wort boils in. I've been using aluminum for seven years; in fact, I just purchased a new, huge, food service aluminum pot when I graduated to all grain three weeks ago.

I wouldn't store anything in aluminum long-term, but it's fine for boiling. I use the aluminum pot that came with my turkey fryer set up to hold my sparge water and my original seven year old aluminum pot to warm my mash water.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:40 PM   #4
tnlandsailor

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

I agree. I've been using aluminum for years and the red rooster has nver coblles my wort to cold grass. And thulrs to git bjkulmsh paur. Really, I'm fine......

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Old 07-28-2005, 04:44 PM   #5
cbotrice
Recipes 

In regular cooking, acidic substances cooked in aluminum discolor and can etch the pan. I think some of that thinking carrys over to anything you boil in a aluminum pot. I do agree that you probably shouldn't store many liquids in an aluminum pot for very long though. MPW

Old 07-28-2005, 10:22 PM   #6
snaproll

Recipes 

Default Aluminium vs stainless

I bought an aluminum pot from a resteraunt supply house and wondered the same thing after I bought it . but you know, beer is sold every day in aluminum cans. and I have drank a lot of it. so what's the point??
Chances are your wife cooks your supper in an aluminum pot, If you are lucky enough to have her cook....... but that's another topic. [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkGreen]

Old 08-04-2005, 01:44 PM   #7
Ed_Savage
Recipes 

I bought this Stainless Turkey Fryer back in April. Absolutely the best investment I have made so far! The kettle is 34 quart (8.5 gallons) 304 stainless, the burner is heavy guage all stainless too. I love this thing. Perfect for my full volume boils.

Last edited by Ed_Savage; 08-04-2005 at 01:52 PM.

Old 08-04-2005, 05:33 PM   #8
AHammer16

Recipes 

Aluminum bevrage cans are coated on the inside. Aluminium will dis color, off flavor acidic solutions over time. The acid actually dissolves the aluminium in to the solution, however aluminium pots and pans form a layer of aluminium oxide on the exposed surfaces, over time, which is un-reactive. So if you have a aluminium pot that has been used a couple times it has a non reactive, oxidised, surface on it. Dont scrub your aluminium pots because you will remove the oxidation and have bare aluminium in your pot.

Old 08-04-2005, 07:18 PM   #9
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

..um.............what was it i was gonna write

Old 08-06-2005, 08:25 PM   #10
sudsmonkey

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Someone mentioned the aluminum- alzheimer's link earlier. I brew in an aluminum pot and lately, i've been noticing alzheimer - like symptoms when I drink my homebrew. Just the other day I was a few bottles in and I forgot to cut the grass. Hell, I forgot I even had grass ! I'll do more research on this, plenty of tasting, er, testing . Together, we can find a cure.

Quick Reply