Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > aluminum keg kettles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
BasementGrowler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sause View Post
Magnets don't stick to many lower grades of SS. Aluminum wouldn't hold up very well to the abuse that kegs go through. Working at a liquor store I've seen many a keg and never have seen an aluminum keg.
A lot of the older kegs were aluminum. They were made from aluminum because they were lighter than stainless. I'm not sure when, but a while ago most if not all manufacturers went to stainless because they held up better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #12
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
The trick with this operation, I think, is patience. I first tried cutting all the way through and then going around cutting on the edge of the metal. It turned out that light pressure on top, just grinding through worked best. A flat disc doesn't like making turns but the very edge will.

It's funny, I also have a pneumatic grinder but didn't even think to give it a try.
Yeah, your first pass around the keg should basically be scoring a line. Once you go around once, the disc wants to stay in that groove, just take it easy and you'll be through in three or four passes. No need to rush, let the tool do the work and it's an easy job.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #13
smoa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can tell if they are SS or alum pretty quick with a file. The kid I bought my first keg from said it was alum. I did a quick file test and it was pretty easy to tell it wasn't.

Quick Reply