Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Alternatives to copper tubing for immersion chiller?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2008, 02:17 AM   #1
andrewjb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Alternatives to copper tubing for immersion chiller?

Hey all,

I'm about ready to brew my second batch, but I'd like to have some kind of wort chiller first. In my first batch, I basically had to air cool the wort, and that's just not... cool. I could just drop the pot into a sink full of cold water, but I'd like an immersion chiller in the long run. 3/8" copper is way expensive, though, and I'm looking for cheaper alternatives. A friend suggested buying a new heater core at an auto parts place. Any thoughts on how this would work, or other ideas for reducing the cost?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2008, 02:42 AM   #2
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Don't go with the heater core, it is not food grade and the solder used to stick it together may have lead in it. Go with http://www.coppertubingsales.com/cop...ing_prices.php for copper needs. Or you can buy one pre-assembled online, they have stainless ones now. The stainless work just as well as the copper since the tubing walls are so thin (Heat conductivity is virtually the same at those thicknesses)

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 11-12-2008, 03:10 AM   #3
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Johnstone Supply here in metro Atlanta had 3/8" copper refrigeration tubing, 50' for $35.... The 1/2" was $52 for 50 feet... At least that was the quote the other day...

Johnstone Supply

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Old 11-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Here mine. I did a break down on the parts on another thread, but couldn't find it off hand (this was on like the 11th page on my search). For partial volume boils, it's worked great, and wasn't that costly to make. Hope you figure out something that works for you

Old 11-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
andrewjb
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies! I ended up going with 20' of copper from Home Depot, but the pro tips were very welcome. Either way, no more waiting several hours for water/wort to cool.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Glad you found something that will work; I forget if I have it on the other thread, but I used a corny to coil my copper around. Good size for my brew kettle, it has a happy median between the center and the outside of the kettle to cool efficiently. Just be careful bending soft copper; I broke off a couple inches bending a J for the outtake on mine.

Quick Reply