Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > All Grain RIMS/HERMS Setup *New In Box*?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2009, 09:34 PM   #21
BillyVegas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dirty Jersey, NJ
Posts: 324
Default

Thanks for the line Sam... but I don't need portability. Id be keeping the system in this second location and doing all brewing there...

I'd LOVE a Brew Magic system...as Im sure most would... but $6k is steep... and while the B3 1550 is nice... $4k is still out of budget.

This puts me right back where I thought... piecing together something myself.

__________________
BillyVegas is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2009, 10:27 PM   #22
HomebrewJeff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lincoln Park, MI
Posts: 300
Default

Honestly, I think you best bet is to start with the basic components and add as needed. Depending on much work you can/want to do, you can save significant amounts of money while still getting all of the bells/whistles of a commercial system.

1- HLT
2- Mashtun (Cooler)
3- Kettle
4- Propane burner

If you have a bench that is higher than your kettle, you can use gravity to do some of the transfers.

Brew for a while, and add on if you really need it.

__________________
HomebrewJeff is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2009, 03:17 PM   #23
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Manorville, New York
Posts: 2,772
Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyVegas View Post
Thanks for the line Sam... but I don't need portability. Id be keeping the system in this second location and doing all brewing there...

I'd LOVE a Brew Magic system...as Im sure most would... but $6k is steep... and while the B3 1550 is nice... $4k is still out of budget.

This puts me right back where I thought... piecing together something myself.
Good point Billy. What exactly is your budget? A number of posts ago I posted about a system that may be in you budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
Below are some pictures of the brewery. It is made of 1.5" steel tubing. It comes with three keggles with Tig welds and stainless fittings. The Mash Tun comes with a False Bottom and sparge system and the system has two 200,000 BTU propane burners. You also get two Blichman thermometers for the Keggles. You can have it as a Two Tier Stand or Single Tier Stand. If you consider that the 3 keggles you are looking at from Sabco will cost $1595, this is a bargin. All you need to start brewing is some silicone tubing, some quick disconnect tubing fitings and a March pump. If you want to add HERMS or RIMS capability at any time everything is reusable. Just add your HERMS coil or RIMS heater and you are in business.



__________________

Guy

Sawdustguy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #24
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 22,238
Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default

I guess this is an example of where wants and budget are two different things. New in box is pretty expensive when you want RIMS/HERMS because it also implies pump(s) and probably automatic temp control including two controllers and SSR or solenoid valves.

If you're just looking for a 3-vessel system on some kind of stand, that's much cheaper as Guy pointed out. Sabco's vessels are pretty steep because they start with legally obtained decommissioned kegs. YCMV (your conscience may vary).

Guy, does that HLT have a bottom drain on it? Pretty slick. Also, do you have any trouble with melting your reflectix insulation from the adjacent burner?

__________________
BrewHardware.com has a new website. Please check it out and let me know what you think!
New 100% Stainless Steel Heating Elements are IN!
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?
Bobby_M is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #25
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Manorville, New York
Posts: 2,772
Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Default

Bobby,

I built my system based on a Sabco stand but my brewing buddy bought the Synergy Metalworks system. I almost bought the single tier stand from Synergy but I went with Sabco because my vision was cloning the Brew-Magic system minus the automation. I weld (I am a real amatuer) but was really feeling lazy at the time and bought the Brew Magic stand only. His HLT does not have a bottom drain. He has the two tier system. His HLT gravity drains into the Mash Tun. It's actually a really nice little system for not too much scratch. He has a single March Pump and does his connections with QD's and silicone tubing.

__________________

Guy

Sawdustguy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #26
BillyVegas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dirty Jersey, NJ
Posts: 324
Default

Im looking $2k or less... Ideally...

I like the Synergy system... I'd like to hear from some people who've had and use it... but you're right. With this and some fittings/tubing... I'm on my way to not only a hearty AG system, but customization is endless...

I like.

__________________
BillyVegas is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2009, 12:30 AM   #27
HomebrewJeff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lincoln Park, MI
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyVegas View Post
Im looking $2k or less... Ideally...

I like the Synergy system... I'd like to hear from some people who've had and use it... but you're right. With this and some fittings/tubing... I'm on my way to not only a hearty AG system, but customization is endless...

I like.
Wow, I guess it really depends on what you really want. Personally, looking at the system, I see a very basic/barebones system. The bulk of the cost is coming from the labor on the welds and stainless stand. (i.e. You can make the same beer on a stainless, aluminum, steel, wood stand etc.)

The Synergy system is shiny, a lot of stainless, but that's about it. $1700+ for a system where you are lifting buckets of wort into the kettle... yikes, and there is no wort chiller. You could easily add on other 400-500$ parts, and that's just to get a basic system, so no automation or anything like that.

Stainless looks really nice, but doesn't make your beer taste any better.
__________________

HomebrewJeff is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2009, 01:26 AM   #28
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Darwin18's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 4,449
Liked 713 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Default

You can make the same quality of beer with a large pot, a turkey fryer and a modified cooler for a fraction of the cost. My suggestion would be to go this route first to see if AG batches are really what you're into before you sink a couple grand into a shiny system.

I mean no disrespect but having a shiny expensive system isn't going to make your beer taste that much better.

__________________
BJCP #F0684 - Certified
Darwin18 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2009, 02:23 AM   #29
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Manorville, New York
Posts: 2,772
Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomebrewJeff View Post
The Synergy system is shiny, a lot of stainless, but that's about it. $1700+ for a system where you are lifting buckets of wort into the kettle... yikes, and there is no wort chiller. You could easily add on other 400-500$ parts, and that's just to get a basic system, so no automation or anything like that.

Stainless looks really nice, but doesn't make your beer taste any better.
I disagree Jeff. For $200 more (March pump, Immersion Chiller, QD's and silicone tubing) he is all set and he doesn't have to lift any wort. The original poster stated that he didn't want to build anything. For under $2000 he is in business and doesn't have to lift a finger to do build anything. For another $200 he can add the RIM heater and PID without doing too much work or HERMS for probably less than that, when he is comfortable with the system. It sounds as if the OP would be happy with this system. My brewing Buddy has one and loves it. Probably because he is the most unhandy person I know (Sorry Phil) and would never think of DIY'ing anything.

I am not affiliated with Synergy Metalworking.
__________________

Guy

Sawdustguy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2009, 03:12 AM   #30
HomebrewJeff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lincoln Park, MI
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
I disagree Jeff. For $200 more (March pump, Immersion Chiller, QD's and silicone tubing) he is all set and he doesn't have to lift any wort. The original poster stated that he didn't want to build anything. For under $2000 he is in business and doesn't have to lift a finger to do build anything. For another $200 he can add the RIM heater and PID without doing too much work or HERMS for probably less than that, when he is comfortable with the system. It sounds as if the OP would be happy with this system. My brewing Buddy has one and loves it. Probably because he is the most unhandy person I know (Sorry Phil) and would never think of DIY'ing anything.

I am not affiliated with Synergy Metalworking.
I guess my point was you could "easily" spend 400-500 more, not necessarily that you had to. However, if you are spending that much on the stainless, it would be silly (IMO) to add a bunch of brass to it, and stainless QD are pretty expensive.

Again, I'm not saying it's a bad system or anything like that, just the cost/value ratio. Even if you say 2 grand, that's still a lot of money for what you are getting. And the list of cool things to buy never ends ... Grain mill, refractometer, fermenters, temp control for fermenter, kegging setup, etc, etc. To each their own I suppose.

I am not affiliated with a competitor of Synergy Metalworking.
__________________
HomebrewJeff is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RIMS and HERMS batfishdog37 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 47 04-09-2009 10:19 PM
HERMS or RIMS for my new setup... opinions? sdsurf Equipment/Sanitation 1 01-04-2009 07:07 AM
RIMS/HERMS Grain Compaction? Bobby_M All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 17 01-03-2009 04:51 AM
RIMS vs. HERMS talleymonster General Techniques 2 09-14-2007 08:42 AM
RIMS vs HERMS Bobby_M All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 07-07-2007 03:34 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS