Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > All grain equipment for new brewer- pots, mash tun, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 09:49 PM   #11
jdoiv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

I bought the 1500 sculpture from Morebeer about 7 years ago. I have been very happy with it. However if I were going to do it again I would consider one thing before moving forward: space.

If you have the space for a single tier, go with the Brutus 10 plans. If you look around the sight you'll find them easily. If you have the bucks and space, get the new brew pots from Blichmann

I would get the 20 gallon boil pot, 20 gallon MLT and 15 gallon HLT.

If you don't have a ton of space, then I would get the 1550 from Morebeer. It has a tippy dump MLT which will come in handy.

I'm actually starting to think about adding the 20 gallon brewpot from Blichmann to my 1550. I should be able to get it to fit with a little work on the stand.

Fermenting:
Planning:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 10:01 PM   #12
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Wow! Those Blichmann Brew Kettles are awesome. Do you know how much the 20g is? Ballpark?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #13
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Never mind.

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=86759&st=0

Yikes that is pricey

Old 02-07-2008, 10:51 PM   #14
Jumbo82

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the advice everyone. Yeah, I agree that the 1550 would be easier to use since you wouldn't need to climb a ladder to brew. They claim its their most popular unit, so that tells me something right there. The Brutus 10 and 20 both look very cool, but unfortunately I'm not enough of a DIY guy to undertake a project of that size. Thats why I was leaning towards purchasing a pre-fab set up. Space won't be an issue since I'll be setting it up in a barn. If someone is selling a used all-grain set up in the New England area, let me know. It stinks that I have to ship something that massive from California... I'll keep looking around locally.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:06 PM   #15
jdoiv

Recipes 

Two things. You can take the plans of the Brutus 10/20 to any welding/machine shop and get a quote on having them build it. It won't be cheap, but it will be less than the 1550 + shipping by a long shot. You will have to source your kettles, burners, hoses and such, but that isn't anything like trying to learn to weld.

Second, if that doesn't work for you, then the shipping on the 1550 really won't be that bad. This will be a purchase that will last a really long time so long as you stay in the hobby. Plus it comes with most everything you need right from the get go. If you have the bucks, you really can't go wrong with it. Yes you do have to wait for it, but I can say, it is well worth it.

Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 02-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #16
Jumbo82

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm getting ready to order a sculpture from morebeer.com, but I can't decide between the B3-2100 (http://morebeer.com/view_product/15283/102326) and the B3-2050 (http://morebeer.com/view_product/15256/102327). Both units make 20 gallon batches, and the difference between $2350 and $2550 is too small to be a deciding factor. Plus with the various control panel options and shipping, I'm looking at close to $4000 either way anyway.

"The Flag Ship of our Sculpture fleet, the B3-2050, is an evolution of the B3-2000. We took the 2000 Sculpture and redesigned the stand to accomodate a Tippy-Dump Mashtun. The Mashtun is supported by a stainless basket that rotates on a triangular base, allowing the whole unit to pivot. After mashing is over unlock the mash tun and rotate backwards to dump spent grain down the stainless steel grain chute and into a trash can."

Versus

"The B3-2100 is our newest Sculpture design and features great accessability. All three kettles are at the same low height so that you can easily work without the aid of a step-ladder. Stirring in the cracked grain (grist) into the Mashtun on this Sculpture is an easier job than with our other Sculptures where a step-ladder is needed.

While easy access and viewing are the assets of this Sculpture, the two trade-offs are 1) Instead of gravity flow of wort from Masthutn tank to Boil Kettle you are pumping wort from your mashtun into the boil kettle. This requires precise control of the pump to slow the flow down and extend the sparge time. 2) We don't offer a Tippy-Dump Mashtun on this unit, so more time will be required to empty spent grains from the Mashtun."

I plan on placing my order later this week. I'm sure I'd be happy with either unit, but since its a toss up for me at this point I thought I'd check with the professionals first. I like how the 2100 has each kettle in a row versus the 2050 has the mash tun and hot tank stacked. I'd be using pumps and a control panel in either system to recirculate, so the benefits of the gravity configuration in the 2050 seems meaningless. This appears to be the main difference. Since space and weight won't be issues, I'm thinking that maybe the 2100 is a better for me due to its convenient layout. Am I missing something with the 2050. It is their "flagship" afterall. Although the 2100 is their newest design (future flagship?). You see my dillemma? If anyone has some input to sway be either way I'd appreciate it. I plan to call morebeer support later in the day to speak with a representative, just want to do a bit of research beforehand. Thanks!

Old 02-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #17
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

I wish I had your problems

Both systems are awesome and will make top shelf beer once you know how to use them. Gravity is nice for sparging. With a pump you must be careful not to draw a vacuum on the mash tun and compact the grain bed. That said, the vast majority of people on this site and everywhere else do not use a grant to cure this "problem" and make fantastic beer. I think The multi-level systems look cooler, but a lot of people prefer the looks of a single tier. The tippy dump feature is nice, because your mash will weigh upward of ~70lbs when you need to get rid of the spent grains. But I am sure that is not a very big deal when the kettle is only a couple feet up.

Please keep us posted when you get your new brewery! I would love to see this thing in action!

Cheers

Old 02-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #18
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

If I had to choose, I'd go with the 2100. I recently moved from a 3-tier to a single-tier and much prefer it.

Make sure you post lots of pictures when you finally get it up and running.

Oh, and you do know morebeer has a forum that a lot of their sculpture owners use. Not trying to run you off, we've got much more brewing-related info here, but you might want to pose the same Q over there and see what kind of feedback you get.

Cheers

Old 02-12-2008, 03:26 PM   #19
Jumbo82

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. Whatever I get, I'm definately be showing it off with plenty of pictures . I just received an email from morebeer saying that shipping will take 4-6 weeks, plus 11-12 weeks of build time. Crazy. I priced out the 2100 system with all the features I wanted and it came out to $4000, plus $640 shipping. I compared this to the Sabco Brew-Magic which is $5000 with only $60 shipping from Ohio. And its ready to be shipped in 3-5 weeks. At first I was going to go with morebeer sculptures because they were cheaper, but after adding features and upgrades its starting to look like I should just go with the "Cadilac" of brew systems and get the Brew-Magic. And I'd get it before summer. Either that or buy an igloo cooler... Well, I'll keep you posted.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #20
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

11-12 weeks of build time! and 4-6 weeks shipping! Wow, are they widdling the steel frame from a single stainless block and shipping over the high seas through the panama canal!? Or are they just soooo swamped with $5,000 orders that they can't get it turned around faster?

Yuri could make one of those in 45 minutes probably

I had no idea their turnaround would be so slow. I would change gears and go with the Sabco for the extra cash. I would die a slow and horrible death in the 4+ months of waiting.....but that's just me.

Quick Reply