New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > All-grain Equipment Decision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2007, 08:20 PM   #1
bobbo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default All-grain Equipment Decision

So I think it's time to move on in my homebrewing journey - up until now I've done only extract batches (partial boils on the stovetop in my 4 gallon pot). My friend's dad used to homebrew, and has a bunch of equipment laying around that he would sell me. He has everything needed to make 10-15 gallon all-grain batches. Just off the top of his head, he listed:

a grinding mill which he said cost $120
several carboys
propane burner (tank not included)
2 converted kegs (I think one is the MLT, the other is for boiling)
wort chiller
capper
a bunch of other odds and ends

He said he'd take $200 for everything, which sounds like a really good deal. When I get the chance, I'll head to his house and take a look at everything (they live 3 hours away).

In the mean-time, I'm trying to decide if I want to do this, or make my own set-up. I've seen the DIY 10 gallon MLTs from FlyGuy that can be made for approx. $70 each. I think I can get by with just one of these??? Plus, I'd need a bigger brewpot ($50-75 for something decent?). Of course I'd need a burner (probably $40 for a cheap one). I'm sure I'd need some other stuff as well. So it looks like I'd be spending AT LEAST $160 to build my own, probably more, and that would only be good for 5 gallon batches or some 10 gallon batches (FlyGuy said that his MLT could accomodate 10 gallon batches under 1.060 OG).

So it doesn't look like I'd be saving much (if any) by making my own setup. Does everyone agree? I guess I'm just looking for some confirmation from people who've been doing this a lot longer than me that
a) this is a good deal and
b) although this is overkill for what I really need to go all-grain (I could just do 5-gallon batches and still be happy), it wouldn't save me any money to get my AG equipment elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Bob

Last edited by bobbo; 05-29-2007 at 08:58 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Even with the stuff he's selling, there is PLENTY of room to customize it the way you want. Doesn't sound like there are any stands or anything.

That's a good deal - I'd probably jump on it if I were you.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 31 Posts

For $200, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I agree w/ rdwj, plenty of ways you can continue to customize your brewery the way you want it.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:48 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

If the kegs so much as have spigots on them, you're already at the asking price.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 05-30-2007, 02:01 PM   #5
bobbo
Recipes 

Just the type of info I was looking for.

Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply