Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Airlocks: Classic 3-piece or "triple ripple" style?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
deepfat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Airlocks: Classic 3-piece or "triple ripple" style?

I've used the old-school 3 piece airlocks but was curious about the triple ripple style (as it's called on morebeer.com). Has anyone had experience with these? Any advantages / disadvantages?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 27 Posts

3 piece, S-type, triple ripple, sanitized tinfoil... they all do the same thing. Use whatever you want.

On a side note: the S-type airlocks make a lot more noise than the 3 piece, and tinfoil doesn't make any noise at all.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Most people call those S-type airlocks. I use only S-types because I think they look cooler.

They are more difficult to clean, but I always use a blowoff during primary.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 27 Posts

That is a good point, the three piece airlocks are a breeze to clean.

So is tinfoil, you just throw it away when you're done.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
balto charlie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I like the 3 piece for the primary(cleaning) and the "s" to more easily observe the ferment. I find this important when fermenting a lager.

Primary Evil Twin Strong Ale
On Deck ESB, Belgian Dubbel

Old 03-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Aluminum foil FTW.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Actually you got it backwards..the "s" type are more oldschool (in fact they used to be made of glass) and the 3 piece are a more recent invention...

I've started to us s types...because they tend to actully bubble or show co2 (by pushing water into the furthest chamber) then 3 pieces..IMHO sometimes there's not enough of a buildup of co2 to actually lift the airlock..or the bubbler can become heavy with co2...and that's why so many new brewers think there's something wrong with their fermentation, because they don't see the airlock bubbling. And that's why we say not to rely on airlock bubbling or lack of it as a "sign" of fermentation. An airlock is not meant to be an accurate gauge..it's a valve to release excess co2, nothing more..the hydromter is the only true gauge...

But I've noticed that s types tend to bubble more...becasue there are no moving parts.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I second what Revvy said. I know it is taboo to say, but I do use my airlock as a fermentation gauge. If the beer is still fermenting and producing CO2, an S-type airlock WILL be bubbling. After bubbling stops, I wait a couple days, and am always at terminal gravity. Different systems for different people, but the S-types are definitely more sensitive.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I prefer the S-type because it makes a nicer sound.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Someone on here was given a ton of old glass airlocks...and posted a pic...they were like works of beery art.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply