The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Airlock: What do you fill it with? Why?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #11
Desert_Sky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

water

filled close to 100 airlocks with nothing but water and have never had an issue. But keep wasting that vodka if you guys want to.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #12
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Really? Do you also use anti-foaming agent? Because whenever I've used star-san, at least during the primary ferment when airlock activity is vigorous, the constant bubbling makes the starsan foam up (like it's supposed to) and after awhile, enough foams out of the airlock to break the positive liquid seal. I've gotten to just using the cheapest, most neutral shyte liquor I have laying around.
No, I'll use a blow off tube during extremely vigorous activity the first 24-48 hrs. Then put the air lock in once it subsides.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #13
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimone
water

filled close to 100 airlocks with nothing but water and have never had an issue. But keep wasting that vodka if you guys want to.
It's a precautionary measure for me---I use it mostly on batches where there will be a bunch of thermal change, such as when I'm cold conditioning or lagering. I've not had anything infected from water, but really, Popov vodka is just slightly more expensive than water. I wouldn't consider it a waste. Anyway, right now, I'm using an old bottle of Bols Corenwyn that someone left at my house one time.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #14
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
It's a precautionary measure for me---I use it mostly on batches where there will be a bunch of thermal change, such as when I'm cold conditioning or lagering. I've not had anything infected from water, but really, Popov vodka is just slightly more expensive than water. I wouldn't consider it a waste. Anyway, right now, I'm using an old bottle of Bols Corenwyn that someone left at my house one time.

good point, Popov really is cheap as hell. Point is though, I can see an infection taking hold if you were to have a lag time of a few days. But once your beer is fermenting it really is alot harder to infect than most may think.

It's just not a very hospitable environment for nasties to take hold while fermentation is going on. And since most of us use dry yeast or a starter as Im sure you do, our lag times are only a few hours.

But theres nothing wrong with being cautious. Brewing takes some time, and it would be ashamed to have it all go to waste because of an infection.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:36 PM   #15
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I use water here - just cause there always seems to be an abundance on hand in the tap

Old 01-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #16
brewnman
Recipes 

Cheap Vodka

Read about it on these forums. I am using a cheap bottle that some one brought over to my house that I wouldn't touch with a 10' pole.

Never trust a man who doesnt drink

Old 01-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #17
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Usually, it's just water for me, too, and I don't fill it until I start to get some sort of fermentation activity. I've also put StarSan and iodophore solutions in the airlock, just for grins. You're right that you need to keep an eye on that StarSan, as it will bubble out.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993
Old_Brewer Likes This 
Old 01-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #18
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimone
good point, Popov really is cheap as hell. Point is though, I can see an infection taking hold if you were to have a lag time of a few days. But once your beer is fermenting it really is alot harder to infect than most may think.

It's just not a very hospitable environment for nasties to take hold while fermentation is going on. And since most of us use dry yeast or a starter as Im sure you do, our lag times are only a few hours.

But theres nothing wrong with being cautious. Brewing takes some time, and it would be ashamed to have it all go to waste because of an infection.
I've had ~3 infected batches---granted they all got infected somehow at bottling, but regardless, I'm careful wherever it's prudent.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #19
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Lately I have been using Gin, someone drank my Vodka.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:49 PM   #20
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewnman
Cheap Vodka

Read about it on these forums. I am using a cheap bottle that some one brought over to my house that I wouldn't touch with a 10' pole.

If you'll run your cheap vodka or whisky thru a carbon filter such as a brita water filter pitcher you can convert your cheap liquor into premium liquor. That's the main difference between premium and cheap vodka and whisky anyway. Why pay big $ for someone else to filter your whisky.

Last edited by abracadabra; 01-15-2008 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply