Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > airlock fell off..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
Labratbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default airlock fell off..

Just brew a hef today and pitched my yeast... Set it in my closet for 10 mins... Came back to check on it and found that the airlock had fallen off!!
Should I be worried about contamination?
I know some of you might say...
Relax don't worry have a home brew... But I'm just a newb at brewing by myself and want to make sure it'll be ok!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
sarsnik
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Don't worry about it. If you did everything right up until then, there is little chance that would have made a difference.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
Emmett
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

First off, can you change what happened? Follow it through.

Years ago I was brewing a lot and made a batch and realized I didn't have enough airlocks after it was too late. I put a ballon over the opening (glass primary). Sometime overnight the balloon popped. In the morning I put another balloon on it. Beer was fine. I felt I dodged a bullet, but what was I going to do?

Old 04-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
Labratbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett
First off, can you change what happened? Follow it through.

Years ago I was brewing a lot and made a batch and realized I didn't have enough airlocks after it was too late. I put a ballon over the opening (glass primary). Sometime overnight the balloon popped. In the morning I put another balloon on it. Beer was fine. I felt I dodged a bullet, but what was I going to do?
I don't think I can change it...no.
I see your point.
What happend is the bung was wet with diluted star san and was essentially slipping... I stayed with the carboy this time to make sure it wouldn't slip

Old 04-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
3RiverBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It happens, you should be alright though, your yeast was fermenting and producing gas so the gas it was producing would have been blowing out to help prevent contamination as well.

I brewed a Wee Heavy a while and checked in on it the next day only to find that the plastic fermenting bucket I was using had a small crack in the bottom of it (only lost ~1/2 cup but I had to transfer into a different fermenter. I had to wait ~9 months to see if anything else got in it and it seemed to be fine, so I would think 10 minutes being exposed should be fine. Don't sweat it.

Quick Reply