Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > airator - rotating spray ball

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
Cliff897
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default airator - rotating spray ball

***********1. Enforce rules only against their foes (i.e., anyone who does not suck up to them) while exempting their friends from similar or worse behavior.

2. Silently boot someone and then proceed to trash talk the person as if the person was still there with an opportunity to respond.

3. Boot someone and then start a thread for the sole purpose of boasting about having removed the person, so as to bask in the praise of sychophantic members applauding the moderator's bold action.

4. If a person is being stalked or trolled, scold, warn and threaten both the victim and the perpetrator to stop it. If the victim protests, boot the victim for having defied the moderator's authority. Add injury to insult by allowing the troll or stalker to stay because the stalker or troll didn't talk back to the moderator.

5. If the moderator loses an argument to another member, selectively delete the member's comments so that the thread no longer makes any sense.

6. Selectively enforce the tribe's rules only against newcomers, newbies or people who are not friend with the moderator.

7. Speak about their actions as moderator in the passive voice, use the royal we, and otherwise take on a haughty, authoritarian tone. I mean, dude, you're just a moderator. ***************

Last edited by Cliff897; 05-12-2010 at 04:59 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

It's a good idea, I've considered this too, but you'd need to be careful about clogging it. You could sparge, but not recirculate, which is equally important in my book. For $125 I bet you could DIY something.....

Old 02-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
Cliff897
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
It's a good idea, I've considered this too, but you'd need to be careful about clogging it. You could sparge, but not recirculate, which is equally important in my book. For $125 I bet you could DIY something.....
Yah that is a lot for a holy ball.
They have a static one for a lot less.
Clogging might be an issue.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I can see the holes in the ball...thus they are WAY too big for aeration. you want an airstone with holes measured in microns not millimeters.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 02-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Oh no... Put that thing on the return of a HERMS system set up in an ice bath? That would be a lot of oxygen. Just dump to primary and let the yeast rawk!

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Old 02-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
Cliff897
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
I can see the holes in the ball...thus they are WAY too big for aeration. you want an airstone with holes measured in microns not millimeters.
Well the aeration procedure I was imagining was not to bubble air through the ball but rather to use the force of the pump to cause the wort to splash and foam violently as it entered the fermenter.

The micron size of the stone does one thing for you. It speeds the exchange by increasing surface area for the oxygen exchange by producing zillions of tiny bubbles. In the collective, zillions of little bubbles have a great deal of surface area.
In theory you could get the same effect with a 1/4" tube and no air stone if you were able to wait long enough - hours maybe days maybe - a long while for sure.

Actually it does two things for you. It conserves on the O2 ya gotta pump through it because it's got a high efficiency due to the zillions of tiny bubbles.

Quick Reply