Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Air compressor aeration

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #11
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4643 Times on 4545 Posts
Likes Given: 2249

I don't see what the point of using an air compressor is. What are you trying to achieve? You can't achieve any more/less dissolved oxygen than either sloshing the carboy around or using an aquarium pump, and both of those won't have all kind of junk in the line and tanks like a compressor does. The goal is to get 10-15 ppm of dissolved oxygen, isn't it? If yes, stop using a compressor and get an oxygen source.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #12
FishFace
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Have you used a compressor compared to an aquarium pump? I don't like wasting can's of 02, aquarium pump just so know WHY I do it, didn't produce enough pressure to work. And yes you are wrong, an air compressor is better than sloshing around, but not as good as 02, the point you made about 02 sats, well it can be achieved a number of different ways. I had the compressor, and didn't have to buy anything, which is always nice. To do 02, lets see,buy tank, buy manifold (because to do 02 right you need to know the ppm over what time frame or its a waste.) Refill tank, store tank, and don't use for anything else. BTW, I get 10-15, in about 10 minutes with drizzle of wort into fermentor, and compressed air. I have 02 for welding, but see no reason to waste when this is working. My yeast is able to multiply and s and f the things we want. Mission accomplished.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #13
mjohnson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 18

FishFace - how do you know you're getting 10-15? Not trying to be snarky, really just curious if you have a way to test that.

Also, just recently, I saw a video of a yeast microbiologist say one of the best ways to aerate is to fill the head space with 02 and then shake. Makes sense since one of the main variables in absorption is surface area.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #14
beninan
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson View Post
FishFace - how do you know you're getting 10-15? Not trying to be snarky, really just curious if you have a way to test that.

Also, just recently, I saw a video of a yeast microbiologist say one of the best ways to aerate is to fill the head space with 02 and then shake. Makes sense since one of the main variables in absorption is surface area.
is pure o2 heavier, lighter, or the same as regular air? This sounds like an interesting concept, but if its lighter than regular air, then wouldn't it just float up and out and be replaced by regular air? if it weighs the same then would you have to start adding the air to the bottom of the headspace, to help push the regular air out the top? Co2 is heavier than o2, so if its not absorbed by the time fermentation starts, then wouldn't the remainder of the o2 be pushed out of the airlock?

"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-19-2010, 06:36 AM   #15
cockybitz
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

O2 is heavier than the majority of air constituents

Old 12-19-2010, 07:33 AM   #16
Bigscience
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post
Really, so far I've gotten around 30 ten gallon batches from one disposable oxygen cannister. One of us is doing something wrong.
Me too. I'll go with 60 sec/5.5 gal with bubbles just coming to the surface. It seems like the little red tanks never run out.

Also, if you have a ton of large bubble frothing up, you're pumping out too much O2.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #17
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Any oil mist no matter how you filter out a oil reciprocating piston compressor will still let a few particles thru.
Touching the stone your finger oils will contaminate it, use a oilless diaphragm compressor. Thomas Pumps
makes many different models, example; http://www.gd-thomas.com/productList.aspx?id=10188&tp=p
I picked up a couple medical compressors by donating $20 to the
hospital for outdated units, both work 0 to 14 LPM @ 50 psi.
I now use O2 from the 215 cu/ft welding bottle.
Below these medical compressors complete with flow regulators.
http://www.soymedical.com/bf14615.html

Old 12-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #18
FishFace
Recipes 

I do not have a quantitative way of testing ppm. I use qualitative measurements. Because I am use air, I can waste some, I pulse aerate. Rotate carboy, pulse, I do this for usually 15-20 minutes. Air foam will be near the top. I did do a test, and the yeast were happy with my method. I couldn't get a quote but they went nuts in that container and made a mess! Ironically as we cool our wort in condenses, if you let that condensed fluid drop into the carboy, that 18" of drop and splash is probably enough aeration, this whole thread is based on what we think, but can't test. I have spoken with and read many discussions about just letting the wort drop do the aeration.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:09 PM   #19
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

FWIW, from the technical expert at BYO:

Quote:
I personally use pure oxygen for a one-time saturation shot for yeast propagation. I have never had any problems with this method. When it comes to wort aeration for making beer, I use air and saturate with air (~8.5 PPM). Again, this works well for me and, most importantly, my yeast!

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 10-12-2012, 06:55 AM   #20
stevescott123
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I googled "aerate wort with compressor" and came upon this thread so...I joined the forum because I want to hear from anybody who is actually doing this - as opposed to anybody who "would not". I'm only interested because I already have a compressor. I'm not going to get one just to aerate and iIt's not as though I'm going to take the rubber hose I use to power my stapler and drop it in the bucket. I have two filtering systems on my compressor. One dries the air of moisture and then lubricates it. It's good for the tools. The other dries the air only. This I'd use with a dedicated-to-brewing hose and pass the air through the inline filter that Northern Brewer has and then to a diffusion stone. Will it be OK?

Quick Reply