Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Affect of contact with skin on beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
aluftig1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Affect of contact with skin on beer?

okay this may be the lamest question I've ever asked on this forum.... but I was brewing today and was in the final stage of the process (adding yeast to the wort) when a cap fell into my beer.

Without thinking, I reached into the beer and pulled it out.

Anyone have a sense whether this will ruin my beer? Will contact with skin and/or the probable bacteria on skin infect the brew?

Wish I hadnt done that, but its too late now!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

It happens. It's not good, but it's not the end of the world. There is a possibility of infection, but the odds are slim. You'll just have to wait it out to see what happens, but I'd be willing to bet that it'll be just fine.

I might be a little bit more anal about my process than I really need to be, but I'll occasionaly spray my hands with Star San. I keep a spray bottle handy for that, and other last second sanitation issues.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

People have stuck or dropped much worse into their fermenters and the beer has turned out ok. More than likely you'll be fine.

When your beer turns out OK add you tale to this thread;

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what...t-great-96780/

In the meantime read those stories in there!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-13-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

I had to stick my hand in the bottling bucket to tighten the spigot one time. Not something I would normally do, but the beer didn't get infected.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hmm. Since this was your fist post, that means it is the only question you've asked on this forum. That, by definition means it is indeed the lamest question you've ever asked on this forum.

Meh, your beer will be just fine.........

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 02-14-2010, 01:31 AM   #6
aluftig1
Recipes 

Default thanks for the encouragment

HA! Actually I have submitted questions before...only it was awhile ago and I forgot my username and password so I gave up and just started a new profile

Thanks for the encouragment! I also called my homebrew store and they told me that the yeast takes care of most of the bacteria so here's hoping. I'd never heard of that before...

Anyway, i'll let you guys know in a month if I ruined it or not! But thanks for providing some comfort that maybe I didnt....

Quick Reply