I am still searching for my full boil equipment that I will also use for AG when I get comfy with the full boil. I posted a thread about a SS 36qt Bayou Classic pot for $65 and free shipping, but those pots do not have a clad bottom. Blichmann states on their website that clad bottoms are necessary for thick liquids like sauces and such to prevent scorching, not necessarily thinner liquids like wort, however, they sell their pots as MT's also Mash is thick, right? Someone here said, and I am paraphrasing, buy equipment that is well made and will last a lifetime and preferably for the future (such as beginning full boils, or going AG). This is to eliminate having to purchase more than is necessary and have a bunch of extra equipment taking up space. I own a small home and space is a premium. Basically, I want the best I can get for the budget, as I am sure everyone else does too!
1. Bayou Classic SS 36-40qt pot non-clad bottom($65 or $99 free shipping)
2. Websaturant store 40qt 18/8 SS clad bottom ($109 + 20.93 shipping)
3. Blichman Boilermaker 10G 304SS non-clad bottoms ($299.99 + 24.00 tax-order @ my LHBS they have a better price than I can find online)
4. BE108 SS 32qt from morebeer.com clad bottom ($104.95 free shipping)
5. BE308 SS 32qt from morebeer.com clad bottom ($159.95 free shipping) this has the spigot and thermo on it.
6. Mega pot SS 10G from northernbrewer.com clad bottom ($132.99 + 7.99 shipping) this is the price w/o spigot or thermo.
I don't know if I want a spigot or a thermo on my kettle. From what I have researched, it is hard to get a good whirlpool w/these protruding into the pot, and filtering out pellet hops can be an issue with the spigot. A thermo would be nice to let ya know what temp your wort is at, but I have a digital thermometer. I can just IC, whirlpool, and auto-siphon once the wort is cooled to pitching temps. Plus I can always add weldless myself later if I choose to.
I have heard alot of good things about the B pots from Morebeer and the Mega pots. Also, everyone who has a Blichmann seems to like them, although, the Blichmann is a little more than I'd like to pay and I have a hard time with the price w/o a clad bottom.
I need to stop obsessing and procrastinating over what the better deal is please help!
Does anyone have any advice they can extend?