Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Advice On A New AG/BIAB Setup Please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 441

You might want to do a Google search on 62qt Bayou Classic with steamer basket and hunt down the best price for it. The kettle is designed so that the basket is elevated a reasonable distance from the bottom. This will help you in placing the temp probe and heating element. The homedepot.com has it but Im sure that you can get it for less money elsewhere (Amazon?).

Take a look at this thread to get some ideas:
Single vessel BIAB electric build

I hope this helps you in planning.

P-J

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
namyarb3
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 30

@Bezel. Thanks, but I am sticking to SS.
@Spike. Price + shipping to 99205 for the 15g with (1) welded fitting with a SS ball valve?
PM if you prefer.

Fu*k 'em if they won't get drunk.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
Bezel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For sure stainless... I thought it was, I have seen the bayou 64q with basket for 144 or so on amazon

Old 09-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #14
namyarb3
Recipes 

...Now I have spent all day researching eBIAB rigs. My wife is gonna kill me...
Serously. I am more confused as I'm writing this reply than I was when I wrote the OP.
Thanks for all of the input, guys!!

Old 09-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #15
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have the B/C 44 qt w/ the steamer insert. I have only used the steamer insert for steaming seafood. I see no worthwhile advantage to using the steamer basket for BIAB. A voile bag is plenty strong to merely cinch the top and lift or hoist out of the pot...I know people use them and like using them...but what's the advantage?? less is more sometimes IMHO.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #16
namyarb3
Recipes 

My thought, wilserbrewer, was that I could smoosh the bag of grains to get more sugary goodness out. I would use a bag as well, if that wasn't clear. If I got the bayou that I linked in the OP, would the thermometer stem be an issue with just a bag? One of yours, of course
How big of a pot would I need to do 13# to 15# worth of grain for a tough 5g batch? Are your bags big enough for that workload?

Old 09-09-2012, 03:17 AM   #17
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Well. first off I am lazy, and feel that all this squeezing and sqooshing the grain bag for a half pint of wort is rather silly...sorry JMO. I simply hang the bag from a hook in the cieling and let it drain. I have never used a built in thermometer, but I have read that it does not really present problems if a little bit of care is used while removing the bag...granted one does not snag the thermo and just keep pulling. Just push the bag away from the thermo prior to removal. I'm a fan of simple hand held thermos, once you hit mash temp, leave it alone IMHO. It is also nice to check the mash in several spots...a mounted thermo doesn't do this.

How big a pot...well a 10 gal will mash 15 lbs at 2.2 qts resulting in a mash volume of 9.45 gal. So that is 33 qts total water or 8.25 gal....if the grain absorbs 1.25 gal, boiloff is 1 gallon and trub loss is a half gallon, your left with 5.5 gallons. So w/ a ten gallon kettle mashing full volume you are maxed out at approx. 15 lb grain bills...but w/ a dunk sparge, you could go more??? So ten gal is a good size IMO considering you could occasionally dunk sparge on silly big huge beers.

ref: can I mash it...below
http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Quick Reply