Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Adjusting Monster Mill 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 476 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaepi View Post
Golddiggie, no joke, he has been worthless as help. Told me to get the screws myself. Unmoved that it took 5 weeks for me to receive his product, etc. First time I would give a beer product customer service a 0. I can post my emails with him to prove.
Complete opposite was my interaction with him when I needed assistance with mine, after using it the first time or two. It might be faster/easier to get the correct spec screws where you are though.

I did send an email about a month ago, asking if they had a base pattern (opening and mounting hole) that they could email me. No reply at all to that email. :/ I didn't want to wait, so I just used the original one as a guide. Came out pretty good, except I made the dump hole a bit too wide.

Maybe they're a bit over-stressed with the holidays and such.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 126

I understand your frustration setting the mill. If you don't know what you're doing, it can be a little tough to get started.

FWIW - Fred at MM has been nothing but great to me as a customer and spent probably over an hour on the phone with talking about milling etc..

Anywho - I'm not sure if you bought the base for the mill, but it is imperative you get that mill mounted on a stable platform and have it aligned properly.

Once mounted - loosen both thumb screws and use a credit card to set the gap ON EACH END OF THE ROLLERS. Each end of the rollers need to be equidistant. If they are not parallel, you may experience binding during milling and a less than optimal crush.

Once you have the rollers set - go ahead and tighten those thumb screws down. At this time, get a fine tipped felt marker and mark the adjustment knob and mill body so you have your baseline adjustment. You want tick marks that you can easily line up on the adjustment knobs and body.

From here - you can mount your hopper and run about a 1.5 cups of grain through at a time to check the crush. After every small portion of grain you mill - you can loosen the thumb screws and slightly tighten the gap. You will be able to walk your crush in perfectly this way. It might take 1 or 2 brew sessions to have it perfected.

cheers
j

Old 12-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #13
jgaepi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

This is his response to me about asking for the replacement screws.

The threads are 1/4-20. The MM-2 uses thumbscrews that are 3/4" long. You should be able to easily find these in a hardware store, or Home Depot/Lowes no problem. The guys that I've sent these to are in Europe and SAE fasteners are just not available there.

1st Brew: Black IPA
2nd Brew: Pilsener Urquell Clone
3rd Brew: Pliny the Elder Clone
4th Brew: Dogfish Head 90min IPA Clone

Old 12-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #14
jgaepi
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

In review that was the politest response I got from him, the rest were nasty about waiting 5 weeks for a mill that he had in stock the entire time.

1st Brew: Black IPA
2nd Brew: Pilsener Urquell Clone
3rd Brew: Pliny the Elder Clone
4th Brew: Dogfish Head 90min IPA Clone

Old 12-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 476 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

To be honest, you should be able to get those bolts/screws from HD or Lowe's for all of a couple of dollars. It will cost him more to ship you a pair. I got a replacement side piece from him at the time, so he included the hex screws for me. I had asked what they were so that I could get them myself.

Maybe it's the difference in how we communicated with him initially that made the difference. In his response to my initial email he mentioned about offering a full refund on return if I wasn't happy with it. I didn't want that, just wanted it to work best for me.

BTW, when I ordered mine, it arrived quickly, shipping out within a day or two. It was also in stock, but not even close to the holiday season. This time of year can be murder on vendors/suppliers/manufacturers. Since he's all three, you can only imagine the stress levels.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #16
stompbox
Served up in the backyard

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I need to go over this thread. Mine is terrible. The thumb screws don't even touch the rollers so the gap spreads apart on first grain that goes through. So I too thought the big side screws set it in place.
Bookmarked. Thanks for the info hope this helps.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:43 AM   #17
stompbox
Served up in the backyard

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
I understand your frustration setting the mill. If you don't know what you're doing, it can be a little tough to get started.

FWIW - Fred at MM has been nothing but great to me as a customer and spent probably over an hour on the phone with talking about milling etc..

Anywho - I'm not sure if you bought the base for the mill, but it is imperative you get that mill mounted on a stable platform and have it aligned properly.

Once mounted - loosen both thumb screws and use a credit card to set the gap ON EACH END OF THE ROLLERS. Each end of the rollers need to be equidistant. If they are not parallel, you may experience binding during milling and a less than optimal crush.

Once you have the rollers set - go ahead and tighten those thumb screws down. At this time, get a fine tipped felt marker and mark the adjustment knob and mill body so you have your baseline adjustment. You want tick marks that you can easily line up on the adjustment knobs and body.

From here - you can mount your hopper and run about a 1.5 cups of grain through at a time to check the crush. After every small portion of grain you mill - you can loosen the thumb screws and slightly tighten the gap. You will be able to walk your crush in perfectly this way. It might take 1 or 2 brew sessions to have it perfected.

cheers
j
Wait a second, this says the hopper goes on after you set the roller gap?

I have the hopper going on the outside of the milling box and thus the thumbscrews had to be removed to get the hopper on.... am I missing something here?

See this photo, http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/images/prod_basehop_img4_lg.jpg

Old 01-03-2013, 12:47 AM   #18
iandh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompbox View Post

I have the hopper going on the outside of the milling box and thud the thumbscrews had to be removed to get the hopper on.... am I missing something here?
You are correct, the hopper goes on over the mill and the thumbscrews must be removed during initial setup.

If a remember correctly, there are also some bolts along the top which need to be screwed on after the hopper is attached.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:51 AM   #19
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I would guess that the upper portion of the hopper goes on after the lower portion is installed w/ the the thumb screws tight. The hopper is two pieces, and should be separated when assembling the mill.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 01-03-2013, 01:33 AM   #20
jammin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompbox View Post

I have the hopper going on the outside of the milling box and thus the thumbscrews had to be removed to get the hopper on.... am I missing something here?

See this photo, http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/images/prod_basehop_img4_lg.jpg
I worded that poorly, my apologies.

You are correct - the thumb screws go on AFTER the hopper is mounted.

Quick Reply