Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Adjusting a BarleyCrusher Gap

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2008, 02:11 AM   #1
Rudeboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Adjusting a BarleyCrusher Gap

I got a Barley Crusher a few months back and love it. Except my efficiencies have gone to $&!%*. I'd like to decrease the gap to produce a finer crush. I've read a lot of posts and info on their web site that talk about adjusting the gap but nobody sez how to do it.

There are the two knobs on the side I'm guessing you rotate those towards the other roller to decrease the gap. I've tried it with my fingers and mine won't budge. (course I'm not exactly Arnold Schwartzeneger).

Is that how you adjust it?
Is it safe to grab them with a VisiGrip?
How far do you turn them? I don't have feeler guages. I've read people turn them so the hash mark is at the 1 O'clock position. Would that be good for a start?

Thanks

Rudeboy

ps I used to have a Corna Mill and made basically flour and never had a stuck sparge and had great efficiencies.

Primary: Dark Czech Lager; Belhaven Best
Bottled Aging:
Kegged Aging:
Kegged Ready: Saskatchewan Wheat; NBA
Bottled Ready: English Barleywine '12; Russian Imperial Stout; Belgium Golden Strong; Westy 12; Arrogant Bastard; Leffe; English Barleywine '14;

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 03:05 AM   #2
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

There are two little screws with lock washers on the side perpendicular to the two sides the adjustment knobs are on. Loosen them and the knobs will turn no problem. Re-tighten them when finished. One word of advice... don't over-tighten those two screws and be careful loosening them. They are cheap metal (aluminum?) screws that will easily have the head snap off. One of mine did, fortunately in the "tight" position. If I ever have to get it out, I'll need an easy-out.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 12-22-2008, 03:06 AM   #3
BargainFittings
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 5

There is a screw for each knob on the face 90 degrees from the knob. Loosen the screw, adjust the knob and re tighten the screw.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:40 AM   #4
plumber
Recipes 

Get a feeler gauge (measures in incraments of .001 of an inch)from an auto parts store so you can measure the gap to make sure your rollers are parallel after adjusting.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
Pete08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber View Post
Get a feeler gauge (measures in incraments of .001 of an inch)from an auto parts store so you can measure the gap to make sure your rollers are parallel after adjusting.
+1. You can find the cheap chinese-made ones at auto parts stores if you have no use for quality gauges for automobile work.

I used to be dyslexic, but am KO now!!

Enola Gay--Far East Tour Summer '45--Coming to Your Town, Limited Engagement--Get Your Seats Now!!--They'll Be Gone in a Flash!!

Quick Reply