Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Adjustable Propane Regulator?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
fifelee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Adjustable Propane Regulator?

I am back to the good old USA from Scotland and am excitedly gathering all grain equipment. I have already completed the mash tun and bought a big boil pot. Next on the list is a burner.

I am thinking about purchasing the 70,000btu low pressure burner (#40282) on this page:
http://www.agri-supply.com/catalog/page12.htm

The most obvious choice of a regulator is the low pressure regualtor (#36107), but the adjustable regulators on the same web page are interesting. Could I use one of those to adjust the flame? There are four different options for adjustable regulators. What is the difference and which would I want?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I would definitely recommend using an adjustable regulator (the one that came with my burner), I can't imagine using a fixed one. I adjust mine quite a bit for things like using maximum heat to get it to a boil, then lowering the heat drastically to survive hot break, and then raising it again and tweaking to get a good, rolling boil.

Last edited by Funkenjaeger; 09-28-2007 at 02:30 PM.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I bought one from my LHBS. He was saying that most of the newer turkey fryers come with a only a 10psi regulator where they used to come with 20psi regs. In his estimation this reduced the BTU's and the reason was to lessen the chance of a grease fire when frying turkeys but was a needless drag for brewing. So I got one that is adjustable from 10-30psi and yes you can use the psi adjustment to regulate the burner. But mine also has a separate needle valve for adjusments.

Seems like the banjo burner comes with a 20psi reg but I'd have to look at it when I get home to be sure.

I do think I get more BTU's than what I can get with the 10 psi reg. that came with my turkey fryer.

Last edited by abracadabra; 09-28-2007 at 03:15 PM.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
fifelee

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 10

It seems the largest adjustable regulator range on that web page is 0-15psi. Is that enough?

Old 09-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 98

My Banjo burner has a fixed regulator, but there's still a valve, post-regulator, to adjust the flow of the gas. Seems to work just a well.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

agreed, my banjo KAB5 has a valve after the regulator that definitely lets you crank it up or run a trickle. 5psi is enough to boil 7gallons. but 15psi will bring it to a boil faster..however could be so hot it scorches wort (at least, that's what I've heard).

5-15psi should be a plenty. I'd only go over 20psi if you're doing 10gallon batches (or more). That KAB5 is almost too much burner for my 9gallon pot. Almost

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 09-28-2007, 04:32 PM   #7
rohanski
Recipes 

I'm a little confused about burners and regulators. I want to use three burner with one tank and regulator. Is a high pressure or low pressure burner best? And like fifelee I am intrigued by the variable regulator. What is high pressure anyway? more than 10 psi? Should I use one of these variable regulators and three valves. I would appreciate some wisdome on this.

Quick Reply