The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Adding Sink to Dry Bar using Gray Water Pump

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
kzimmer0817
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Adding Sink to Dry Bar using Gray Water Pump

I wasn't sure where to post this question, since I plan to have this done professionally.

Within the next few weeks we will be moving into a "new" house that has a fantastic unfinished area in which to e-brew. Additionally, there is a very nice serving bar in one of the finished rooms. Unfortunately, this bar has no sink. The plumbing is overhead in this basement until it reaches the far end, so cutting into the slab is probably not an option.

Does anyone have any experience with gray water lift stations for use in basements? It has become very common in my area to install sewage lift stations below the slab for plumbing basement baths in new homes. But . . . I'm not looking to lift solid waste uphill, just sink water.

I searched some DIY forums and found the following pump recommended - especially where folks were trying to install laundry rooms in unplumbed basements:

http://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Pumps-...ref=pd_cp_hi_0

I will likely call a plumber to evaluate my situation. I'd like to install a sink into the bar as well as have a sink in the unfinished shop (where I see the drain pipes right above my head.

Anyway, I'd appreciate hearing of your experiences and recommendations.

Thanks,
Keith

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
vinper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

It will work no problem, A check valve is very important, also you need to know whats on the line your taping into, so waste water from upstairs is not trying to drain into your sump. best to tie in when the line is heading up through the floor(vertical ) ,than on a horizontal line.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
vinper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Usually you should tie into the main stack , also keep in mind the sink needs a vent line ..

Old 10-26-2012, 01:01 AM   #4
WPStrassburg
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My utility sink in the basement has a pump in a crock similar to this one

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/L.../13089/Cat/688

Works great gives you the flexibility to put a sink in a remote area.

Also the vent line is only needed when tying into a sink directly into the sanitary system. The basin has a vent on it to take of the sink trap and keep it from sucking dry. The pump discharge should be tied into the top of the horizontal sewer main with a tee.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
edds5p0
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts

We use those set ups at my job, the only problem is that water in the lines can get funky if they don't have flow through them regularly. It smells like stale egg farts when when we come in Monday morning after the water sat all weekend. I hope your experience is better.

Quick Reply