Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Accuflex bev seal ultra tubing problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 04:44 AM   #1
bgburdman9
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Accuflex bev seal ultra tubing problem

I read all about all of the techniques for getting this stuff over my barbs before starting and I am still having trouble. After about an hour tonight I only have 3 out of 4 of the keg side connections on and none of the connections off the tail piece. Two of the 3 that I actually have on are only on about half way and pretty crimped. I really only have 1 connection on to the standards I want. I have probably trimmed 6-12 inches off already of tube that has been totally destroyed trying to get the barb in the tubing.

I tried heating a couple inches of tube, just the tip of the tube, heating the connection, using golf tees, using needle nose plyers. Anyone have any other tips to get this tubing on? I dont want to waste a couple more feet just trying to get this stuff on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 122

I think we've all been there, but really it sounds like you're using the right techniques. Maybe do a little more searching/reading, and you'll find a method that works for you.

Here's what I do:

I don't have a heat gun, but boiling water's worked fine for me. Get a small, shallow pot of boiling water going on your stove. Keep the water level fairly low so you can rest things on the bottom.

Heat up the end of the tube for 20-30 seconds in the boiling water then stretch it with needle nose pliers. Run under cold water so it takes a set. Then put the tailpiece or FFL in the boiling water for 30 seconds or so to heat it up. Dunk the end of the (now stretched) tube for just a couple seconds (it'll start to lose the stretch you just put on it), then place it on top of the hot tailpiece and firmly push down, grabbing the tubing as close to the fitting as you can. Try to push straight down or you'll kink the tubing. Thick gloves help a lot here. That should be enough to get it started over the barb.

Then take the entire assembly (tailpiece + tube) and put it upright into the boiling water. Keep a consistent downward pressure on the tube, as everything heats up it should slide down further. If you don't keep pushing down, it'll pop off the barb and you have to start over.

Make sure to get your Oetiker clamp onto the tubing first, if you're using one. I like to clamp it while the tubing's still a little warm.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:43 AM   #3
bgburdman9
Recipes 

Spent another half hour trying to get this tubing on today. Bought some small needle nose pliers today to better stretch the tubing and tried to follow the directions exactly as stated above. At this rate ill get everything attached sometime next month. Not sure how this tubing can be worth the trouble. After the kegs I have had to dump and now this tubing, I am getting really frustrated with the amount of time and money I am wasting. This is the best I have done with the tubing so far after spending about 2 hrs working on it.

image-1868787381.jpg  

Old 01-16-2013, 03:51 AM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1125 Times on 913 Posts

It is the Bentley of beer lines, but the constant stream of "How the heck do I get this on that?" threads makes it questionable to this observer whether it's really worth that much more than Bevlex 200 - which you can work with in your sleep...

Cheers!

Old 01-16-2013, 04:25 AM   #5
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Get a heat gun it makes it easy. Even home depot has cheap one but harbor freight has a super cheap one. It is really good beer line. It rinses clean every time and does not get stained.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 122

I think using a QD with the barb is adding to your frustration. It's much easier using a QD with a flare fitting, then you can throw the stainless FFL barb into the boiling water. Plus then you can easily switch between Sankey, Corny, etc. So if it's not too late for you to make the MFL switch I'd recommend it.

I had a really hard time for the first couple, once I got the technique down it wasn't bad.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
beaksnbeer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 487 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Push-lock fittings

image-1982445886.jpg

IslandLizard Likes This 
Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
gregkeller
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaksnbeer View Post
Push-lock fittings

Attachment 94753
This is the smartest thing i've seen on here ever. What specific john guest fittings are those?
Keg #1 - Claire's IPA (wife's 1st beer post baby)
Keg #2 - Logan's Little IPA (baby's session IPA)
Keg #3 - Oatmeal Stout
On Deck- Brett Saison, Berliner Weiss, Heady Topper clone.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:10 AM   #9
OMJ
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I changed out my kegerator to bevlex over the weekend and with a heat gun its pretty easy. I put a golf tee in the end the tub then heated it. Used the tee to open it once it was heated then the barbs went in easy.

Those pushlock fittings look even easier though

Old 01-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
leokatero
Recipes 

This is the best I have done with the tubing so far after spending about 2 hrs working on it.

Quick Reply