Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > A419 probe waterproof?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2011, 02:39 AM   #1
quigsnshad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A419 probe waterproof?

I just wired the Johnson A419 temp. controller and the probe doesn't look too watertight. Any problems if I silicone the wired end where the crimp is? Plan on placing this in a glass or a gel pack and don't wanna ruin it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Rather than waterproofing it and placing it "wet" for a buffer. I think a similar buffer can be achieved by insulating it dry w/ paper towels or bubble wrap. I think I just read of someone using dryer lint to pack the probe inside of a glass vial. I just wrap the probe w/ paper towel and tape some plastic wrap over it to keep it from getting damp.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 04-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Zacharomyces
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I insulate my probe with foam insulation (the pink foamboard stuff) and I think I'm going to have to replace my probe. It's now 2-3 degrees off from other thermometers. I was thinking about putting some silicone sealant around the new one.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigsnshad View Post
I just wired the Johnson A419 temp. controller and the probe doesn't look too watertight. Any problems if I silicone the wired end where the crimp is? Plan on placing this in a glass or a gel pack and don't wanna ruin it.
That should work or you could put a piece of silicone tubing over it. Watertight heat shrink tape is another option.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
GatorDad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

http://cgproducts.johnsoncontrols.com/MET_PDF/125186.PDF

Johnson claims the probe is "splashproof". I've been running mine (for quite a while) with it submersed in a small bottle of water and no issues. I think many others here are doing the same. YMMV.

BTW, stay away from silicon with this probe. See last item of "Mounting Considerations" in link above.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
quigsnshad
Recipes 

Thanks for the heads up regarding the silicone. Thinking of using an old vial now and drilling a hole through the cap and sliding an o-ring towards the wire end of the sensor so it doesn't end up taking a bath. Thanks everyone for your input.

Quick Reply