*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 8' X 10' Brewhouse

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 12:17 AM   #1
finchlake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default 8' X 10' Brewhouse

I there, I just got an 8' x 10' metal building to move all my brewing stuff into. I looking for threads or suggestions on how to finish it out on the inside for home brewing. I've already moved my kegerator into it. I think I want to keep all my brew stuff together in there( maybe in a metal cabinet, and do the boil just outside the door. I want to set up my fermenters inside on something like a heavyduty shelf. I do not plan on doing my drinking in the building, I already built a beer garden to sit around and drink with friends. I want the building to be the brewhouse where all the work takes place.

Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2007, 12:38 AM   #2
Otis The Drunk
Recipes 

Electricity would be a good thing, if you can insilate the building from the electirc.

Currently in Primary: zip
Currently in Secondary: Dry Stout
Bottle Conditioning: Not a Thing
Drinking: Run of the mill Pale Ale
What's Next: Lake Walk Pale Ale

The Liver is Evil, therefore it must be punished

Old 09-30-2007, 01:55 AM   #3
finchlake

Recipes 

Hey thanks Otis, I already have electricty and the wall are 4" insulated with paneling on the inside walls. It has an exhust fan with temperture control. I've instaled air conditioning and electric heating.

Now I'm thinking about how to set up cabinets or shelfs to set carboys on. You know for efficent racking. I move from the carboy to corney kegs and carb. with CO2. I also bottle from the corney kegs with a beer gun. I need storage facilities for all of this stuff.

From the begining this stuff has been all over the place. The wife loves the idea of taking me and all my beer stuff outside to the shed. I want to set it up in a cool, neat, efficent manner this time. Just thought maybe someone on this forum may have already done this, or maybe as beer drinking, hopheads we are doomed to living in the chaos, disorder and confusion of all of our beer making toys.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:01 AM   #4
jesse
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchlake
Hey thanks Otis, I already have electricty and the wall are 4" insulated with paneling on the inside walls. It has an exhust fan with temperture control. I've instaled air conditioning and electric heating.

Now I'm thinking about how to set up cabinets or shelfs to set carboys on. You know for efficent racking. I move from the carboy to corney kegs and carb. with CO2. I also bottle from the corney kegs with a beer gun. I need storage facilities for all of this stuff.

From the begining this stuff has been all over the place. The wife loves the idea of taking me and all my beer stuff outside to the shed. I want to set it up in a cool, neat, efficent manner this time. Just thought maybe someone on this forum may have already done this, or maybe as beer drinking, hopheads we are doomed to living in the chaos, disorder and confusion of all of our beer making toys.
must be nice

Old 09-30-2007, 08:52 PM   #5
tbulger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If i were you the first thing i would put in there would be a 10' stainless steel coutnertop with a big sink. I would also think about storing the fermenters on three tiers- top primary, second secondary, and bottom kegs. That way there would be no need to move them around just rack right down to the next level.

primaries: BRown Ale
secondaries: Rye IPA
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Old 09-30-2007, 10:46 PM   #6
finchlake

Recipes 

I do not have water out there yet. I'm thinking you'r right on that. If I don't set up with water I'm going to be carrying jugs back and forth to the house to wash. Also I will not be able to run the wort cooler. I have a friend who has a trencher, I could probably get him to run me a line out there for a couple of beers.

I hadn't thought about setting up the fermenters on three tiers. Now I have to move them around, then have to wait for everything to settle back down before I can transfer. Setting up a three-tier system would be easy enought to do, and would also save some floor space.

Thanks

Old 10-01-2007, 01:27 AM   #7
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchlake
I do not have water out there yet. I'm thinking you'r right on that. If I don't set up with water I'm going to be carrying jugs back and forth to the house to wash.
For no more often than I typically use a brew shed, don't be afraid to plumb the whole thing and terminate outside with a female garden hose thread. When you get ready to brew, pull out the hose and hook her up. Just don't forget to use an RV water hose type garden hose to avoid off tastes in the water.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:17 PM   #8
finchlake

Recipes 

I went and relooked at my setup last night after "tbulger" and "pldoolittle" posts. I think the way to go on this is to install cabinets on one of the 8' walls with a double stainless sink in the middle of the cabinet. I will stub up outside the building with a faucet that I can atttached a hose to. This will be for the wort cooler and wash things outside.

I tore out some of the paneling last night on one wall. It was uneven, I going to Lowe's today to pick up some more.

I already have the kegerator in the building, so with the help of my Fuller's ESB clone and a crowbar taking down the old panels was not a problem.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:25 PM   #9
Brewer3401

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm planning on building a 15' x 9' (inside dimensions) brew shed.
Let me know how you progress, because I have a lot of the same questions.

Fermenter: -0-
Brite tank: -0-
Kegged: Blonde ale

Old 10-01-2007, 01:37 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 994 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I don't understand putting the kegerator in the brewshed though. I think it ought to be in the house unless you do all your drinking in the yard.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply