Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > is .8 oz c-brite + water enough to sanitize a 5 Gallon Carboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
mikesalvo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default is .8 oz c-brite + water enough to sanitize a 5 Gallon Carboy?

i have one .8oz packet of c-brite. Is it enough to sanitize a 5 gallon vessel? If so how much water should I add?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

From the manufacturers website:

Quote:
SANITIZATION: No-rinse effective sanitization requires a solution of 100 ppm available chlorine. This will be achieved by dissolving the contents of an 0.8 ounce packet of C-Brite in 2 gallons of warm water. Thoroughly wet all surfaces to be sanitized. Let stand at least one minute. Drain and AIR DRY.
According to their instructions, you can mix the entire packet with 2 gallons of water, shake the hell out of your fermenter (or whatever it is you're trying to sanitize) and that should be sufficient.

FYI: That information came from the very first link that popped up when I went to google and typed in "c-brite."

Old 05-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
mikesalvo
Recipes 

awesome, thanks for the info. I did a search of the board and couldnt find anything, I shoulda used google.

I just sanitized a 5 gallon. Rinsed twice, and theres still a faint chlorine/.bleach smell, will that go away? Should I be worried?

Old 05-08-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

I would be worried, personally. If you still smell bleach, you're likely going to end up with chlorine or chloramine (I forget which, I think chloramine) in the finished product. I know C-Brite claims to be a no-rinse sanitizer (or at least used to until the FDA made them get rid of that claim) but if it's leaving behind enough that you can smell it, you'll likely be able to taste it too. I would rinse the hell out of that thing until all you can smell is water.

A bit of unsolicited advice: If I were you, I would switch to a true no-rinse sanitizer like Star San or Iodophor in the very near future.

Hope everything turns out all right! I'm sure it will.

Quick Reply