Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Is 7psi enough for for an autoclave?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Larso
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Is 7psi enough for for an autoclave?

I, I recently bought a pressure cooker to use as an autoclave for slanting. It cooks at 7psi. Is this enough pressure for autoclaving? Can anyone tell me how long I need to cook for at this pressure to sterilise my gear?

Thx

L

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
theredben
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 9

That will not be sufficient to truly "sterilize" items. It will get them very clean however, and cooking things like agar and media for 30 min at 7 psi will likely give you no problems. I would try it out before going and buying something else.

If you do have problems, you can always "Tyndallize" them instead of autoclaving. Tyndallizing is where you heat something up to boiling and then let cool for 3 consecutive days, which gives results similar to autoclaved items. The 1 day between boilings allows the bacterial "endospores" (the part that survives regular boiling) a chance to germinate, and then when you boil next it kills the bacterium. It is more labour intensive, but works great.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
Larso
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks theredben, found a crack on the handle of my new pressure cooker so brought it back an got a larger one that cook at 11.6 psi and received €6 back as it was cheaper. Assume this is good enough for autoclaving?

Thx

L

Old 07-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larso
Thanks theredben, found a crack on the handle of my new pressure cooker so brought it back an got a larger one that cook at 11.6 psi and received €6 back as it was cheaper. Assume this is good enough for autoclaving?

Thx

L
For proper autoclaving/sterilization, the minimum pressure required (for water, though wort is almost the same) is 15psi. 11.6psi should be better than just boiling, but it shouldn't achieve true sterilization.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If you really want to have a true autoclave capability, I hope you can return the one you have.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Larso
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
For proper autoclaving/sterilization, the minimum pressure required (for water, though wort is almost the same) is 15psi. 11.6psi should be better than just boiling, but it shouldn't achieve true sterilization.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If you really want to have a true autoclave capability, I hope you can return the one you have.
Thanks Emjay, was just reading the manual with it and it says 'nominal pressure 11.6, maximum pressure 15psi' any idea what exactly that means?? It also says only to put in items that can withstand 130degC?

Go on! Tell me what I want to hear!!!

Thanks

L

Old 07-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

If you want to sterilize, you need boiling water or steam at 15 psi for 15 minutes. Boiling water at 15 psi is 250F. I give it 20 minutes to make sure everything is up to temp evenly.

Next: Oktoberfest v5
Fermenting: Conan DIPA, 1830's English Mild @ Earth - Bread + Brewery, Dopplebock, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Tropicale Thunder v2, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 07-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
Tropidolaemus
Southern Captive, Northern soul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Don't forget to let the steam build and vent for a few minutes before starting your count down as well. Mushroom growing forums are a good place to find info on using pressure cookers for sterilization. I grow shiitakes from time to time and got really great info in books on growing them. Yeast is a fungi and so the culture of yeast is similar in many ways.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larso View Post
Thanks Emjay, was just reading the manual with it and it says 'nominal pressure 11.6, maximum pressure 15psi' any idea what exactly that means?? It also says only to put in items that can withstand 130degC?

Go on! Tell me what I want to hear!!!

Thanks

L
I suspect that means at 15psi it starts venting a safety valve. Hard to say.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 07-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The best answer I can find on the matter is that 11.6psi is what you can expect under normal conditions, which would indicate it's not good enough.

I'd suggest calling the manufacturer if you want to be sure what they mean by nominal pressure. Don't tell them why, though, as CS reps often just tell you want they know you want to hear.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #10
ipsiad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Buy some autoclave tape; it's tape that changes color once it hits sterilization temperatures. Stick it on whatever you want to sterilize, let the pressure cooker rip for an hour, and see what happens.

Quick Reply