Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 7cu ft freezer sale starting tomorrow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 03:50 AM   #31
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3474 Times on 2151 Posts
Likes Given: 2984

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
atta boy Pawn
Thanks brah. Collar gets installed this weekend.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 04:27 AM   #32
Brewcrew02
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
4 ball locks.

My store had at least 8 of them on the shelf. $158.

4 ball locks will fit.

4 ball locks will fit.

I bought this freezer today. It will fit 4 ball lock kegs on the floor. I tested this. It's tight, but nothing has to bend to get them in there.

I now have 3 ball locks, a 20# CO2 tank, a regulator, and a 4-port manifold in there. I moved my 15 cu.ft. to the garage for fermenting / untapped keg storage.
Jealousy ensues

"Gave my 500ml Pacman starter that I made last night a hug and wished it a good day before I headed off to work. He's growing up so fast!! Will be a 2liter starter by Saturday and will probably start ignoring me, think he knows it all and end up knocking up some skanky belgain strain before I know it." ~BigTerp

Old 11-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #33
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
4 ball locks.

My store had at least 8 of them on the shelf. $158.

4 ball locks will fit.

4 ball locks will fit.

I bought this freezer today. It will fit 4 ball lock kegs on the floor. I tested this. It's tight, but nothing has to bend to get them in there.

I now have 3 ball locks, a 20# CO2 tank, a regulator, and a 4-port manifold in there. I moved my 15 cu.ft. to the garage for fermenting / untapped keg storage.
Good info, thanks. This seems like a better option to the GE. I've read the GE will only hold 3 on the floor. I plan to keep two 5 gal ball lock and two 2.5 gal ball lock kegs in there.
Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #34
hogwash
Minimally Exceptional
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Just bought one of these. Woohoo! Kegging, here I come!

Old 11-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #35
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 470 Times on 354 Posts
Likes Given: 761

I bought one for this exact price at this exact time last year. It's a GE 7.0 though, not a Magic Chef. (this is an edit, sorry if my op misled anyone!)

I've been using it heavily as a fermentation chamber with a temp controller. It's held up quite well. It will comfortably fit 2 6G Carboys on the floor and room for a stirplate/blowoff jar on the hump. With a collar you could get a 3rd Carboy in there too.

Just thought you'd all like to know I've been very very pleased with that purchase. I've fermented 35 batches of beer in it (roughly) so far, and I keep my temp controller at 2F intervals for the freezer...and it cycles way less than another chest freezer/temp controller I'm using as fridge (which is, in it's defense, set for 36F as opposed to 63F most of the time).

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 99 batches and counting (as of 10/21/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #36
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
I bought one for this exact price at this exact time last year. I've been using it heavily as a fermentation chamber with a temp controller. It's held up quite well. It will comfortably fit 2 6G Carboys on the floor and room for a stirplate/blowoff jar on the hump. With a collar you could get a 3rd Carboy in there too.

Just thought you'd all like to know I've been very very pleased with that purchase. I've fermented 35 batches of beer in it (roughly) so far, and I keep my temp controller at 2F intervals for the freezer...and it cycles way less than another chest freezer/temp controller I'm using as fridge (which is, in it's defense, set for 36F as opposed to 63F most of the time).
35 batches in a year! Dude, that's a lot of brewing...and a lot of drinking. I'll probably be buying mine tomorrow.
Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #37
Synergy012
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer
I bought one for this exact price at this exact time last year. I've been using it heavily as a fermentation chamber with a temp controller. It's held up quite well. It will comfortably fit 2 6G Carboys on the floor and room for a stirplate/blowoff jar on the hump. With a collar you could get a 3rd Carboy in there too.

Are you sure it's the same model? Because I did some quick math and assuming the internal dimensions are accurate 22 x 16 without the hump. That means the diagonal is a bit more than 27. A 6 gallon carboy is 12 inches in diameter which means you need an approximately 29 inch diagonal. Additionally the ge is bigger 24 x 15 and its a tight squeeze there.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #38
digi2k
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

oh man, I really scored on this freezer... the planets must've aligned perfectly... I had a home depot coupon for a one time use, $50 off $100 that expired the day this deal came out, I was able to get the freezer for $100! Put it in will-call and picked it up last night. Can't wait to assemble the kegerator!

Old 11-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #39
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy012 View Post
Are you sure it's the same model? Because I did some quick math and assuming the internal dimensions are accurate 22 x 16 without the hump. That means the diagonal is a bit more than 27. A 6 gallon carboy is 12 inches in diameter which means you need an approximately 29 inch diagonal. Additionally the ge is bigger 24 x 15 and its a tight squeeze there.
I am not only not sure, I just realized, this is a Magic Chef 7 and I have a GE 7.

Since I bought for this exact price in an HD store last year during this week, I assumed it was the same. Thanks for clarifying, and sorry if I misled anyone.

FTR, my GE 7.0 has a 28" diagonal and fits 2 better bottle carboys perfectly:

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 99 batches and counting (as of 10/21/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #40
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
35 batches in a year! Dude, that's a lot of brewing...and a lot of drinking. I'll probably be buying mine tomorrow.
Please see my revised post and response response above. I don't want anyone to pull the trigger because of my mistake!

Regarding 35 batches, it's shocking how fast it goes. For one, I almost never get a full 5g out of my batches even when I plan for a 5.5G batch because of sediment/trub/samples and equipment losses. For 2, I've given a lot of beer away. I genuinely love brewing it, but as you reconized, there's only so much I can drink. For 3, I share what I don't give away by inviting friends over whenever possible.

In the end, I have 6 taps flowing as often as possible, and I generally rotate through those taps every couple of months. If beer gets old/stale/funky, I dump it, but I try to give it away before that happens. Several of my neighbors bring their own swingtop bottles over for fill ups and they frequently request me to bring beer to their parties.

Makes me happy to know my beer is good enough that they keep coming back for more, but I have no problem cutting people off if they get greedy or I just don't have the spare inventory.

Also, I've gained 15 pounds over the course of year, so I guess I'm drinking my fair share. Luckily I felt I was 5-10 lbs UNDERweight when I started, so I'm not too portly these days, though I did just put on a pair of pants that don't fit anymore :-P

Quick Reply