Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 70 qt Coleman Xtreme & efficiencies

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
illin8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 70 qt Coleman Xtreme & efficiencies

When mashing (read: batch sparging) 5-gallon batches in a large cooler such as this, would the unused space have any effect on efficencies outside of it just being a larger area to heat and its associated deadspace?

I don't think so, but I've wondered a few times about it. I know fly sparging is better with a thicker grain bed but shouldn't matter for batch.

Bottle Conditioning: AHS Oktoberfest, Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde

On deck: Nothing (recently moved/working on the laundry list)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
Love is not a pink heart on a Hallmark card. It is a curse on mankind in which the male of the species must continually struggle to gain his own happiness by means of satiating the batcrap crazy stupid whims of the lady with the snaky hair.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
janzik

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I've got this exact cooler and I've done my last couple of 5 gallon batches in it. In all cases it has held the mash temp within 1-2 degrees for 60 minute and 90 minute mashes

I preheat the cooler while my strike water is heating and it retains the heat well.

I mash at 1.25qts/lb and have never had a problem.

Also, I use a copper manifold in the shape of a loop and I've been averaging over 85% efficiency on my last couple of batches.

I've been real happy with this cooler. I was worried about 5 gallon batches as well, but I haven't had a problem yet.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have the 80qt and when I was making it I to was worried that it was going to be to big for 5 gallon batches. The way I fixed that was I just started brew 10 gallons and have not had any problems.

Have done a few 5 gallon and it works just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Quick Reply