Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 7 gallon water cooler for mash tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 12:19 AM   #1
mynamestanner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 7 gallon water cooler for mash tun

What do you guys think of this cooler to be converted to a mash tun?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7999982

I want to make the step to all-grain brewing, but will still be doing 5 gallon batches for awhile. Seems like the perfect size to me. Room to do some heavier beers, but not a lot of extra head-space if i do some lighter gravity stuff.

Thanks!

Planned: Conversion to all-grain beer, a quick blueberry cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 12:21 AM   #2
RodfatherX
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I saw the full size version of that one at wally world today for $21 something I believe.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:21 AM   #3
mynamestanner
Recipes 

Yea, i could get a 12 gallon rectangular cooler for $18. I suppose either would work.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5623411

Why do i get the feeling i'm going to end up with one of each?

Old 05-22-2008, 01:43 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4915 Times on 3564 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Well, if you buy the "right" one, whichever one that is, you won't need to buy again. I bought a 10 gallon igloo, and still haven't made a 10 gallon batch. But I use it all the time for my 5 gallon batches, and am very happy. If you know that you will absolutely never make a big barleywine or go to 10 gallon batches, the 7 gallon will probably do fine. I've never maxed out my cooler yet, but I've done some step infusions and decoctions, and been very happy to have the extra space!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-22-2008, 04:27 AM   #5
Jack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Depends on which sparging method you employ...

One that's short and fat like that one will have more dead volume on the bottom. That is, space below where the drain connects. A taller and skinnier one will have less dead volume, so you can drain more wort out of it.

That said, I'm sure it will work fine.

I have a five gallon igloo cooler for three gallon batches and it works great!

Old 05-22-2008, 05:23 AM   #6
mr_cad

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I started with a 5 Gallon Igloo and ended up going with a 10 Gallon soon after. I am new to all grain but I have learned quickly to buy the next size up of whatever you think you need. Also if you start working with a group or club remember that equipment can malfunction and if you have an extra around its not big deal. This happened to us on May 3 Brew Day. The MLT we were using sprang a large leak so we just grabbed mine and didn't miss a step. Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.

(1 Timothy 5:23) . . .Do not drink water any longer, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent cases of sickness.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:53 AM   #7
mynamestanner
Recipes 

Thanks guys! I think i'm going to run over to Walmart right now (gotta love second shift) and snag the rectangular cooler. Bigger and cheaper works for me. I'm just starting out anyways.

I appreciate your help, and I'll keep you guys updated as I build my MLT.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3488

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynamestanner View Post
Thanks guys! I think i'm going to run over to Walmart right now (gotta love second shift) and snag the rectangular cooler. Bigger and cheaper works for me. I'm just starting out anyways.

I appreciate your help, and I'll keep you guys updated as I build my MLT.
Did you have any look finding it? I went to my walmart last night, and all they had were the 5 gallons (for 18 bucks.) Actually the 7 gallon looks to have a lower profile than the 5...I have a space problem in the loft, so I was hoping for something not as big in size....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #9
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have a 5 and 10 gal rubbermaid cooler like the one pictured. I usually use the 5gal because i lose less heat during the mash...less headspace.

i only do 5 gallon batches right now,and never really big beers. you can always do two sparges for really big beers anyhow.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 05-24-2008, 12:57 AM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3488

I bit the space bullet and got the 5 gallon igloo for 20 bucks from wally world today...Just got to find a place to stash it in the loft when I'm not using it...Maybe cover it with a sheet and use it as an end table...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply