6TH gallon kegs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67coupe390

Reaction score
Hello,
Just wondering if anyone is using the 6th barrel kegs to keg thier homebrew? I'm going to try them because then I don't have to switch out the fittings bewteen using a half barrel and a cornie keg. I'll just use the sanke tap head and thats it. what do you all think?

Most folks here use cornelius kegs since they are cheap and easy to clean, sanitize & fill. I put MFL fittings on my gas & beer lines, so if I ever (and I doubt it) need to go to a 1/2 barrel, I can without any hassle.

This is weird! I just got one from a delivery guy. What I did was took it home, took it apart and sanitized it put it back together, and used the pump style tap handle to hook it up to CO2, pressurized it to get out the sanitizer.

I then (using a carboy cap) pumped my Belgian Trippel into the keg trough the tap handle. Which I then used to carbonate it. It has worked pretty slick. I can send put up pictures later if this doesn't make any sense.

John

Nwcw2001 said:
This is weird! I just got one from a delivery guy. What I did was took it home, took it apart and sanitized it put it back together, and used the pump style tap handle to hook it up to CO2, pressurized it to get out the sanitizer.

I then (using a carboy cap) pumped my Belgian Trippel into the keg trough the tap handle. Which I then used to carbonate it. It has worked pretty slick. I can send put up pictures later if this doesn't make any sense.

John

Sounds interesting - pics would be nice!

this is the keg tap in it's natural state

DSCF0021-1.jpg

here is the CO2 tap in it's natural state. i just loosen that second hose clamp and expose the barb fitting.
DSCF0022.jpg

Here is how I push the beer from the carboy to the keg, black hose goes into the tap and the beer flows into the 6th Keg

DSCF0020.jpg

here is the carbonation set up
DSCF0015.jpg

I then just turn the gas off and bleed it down until about 2-4#'s of pressure and then I remove the keg tap and reassemble.

Yeah but this is what I got for free (which is the best way to get), so I guess that we will have to drink the trippel all at one sitting !

I've thought of using 11 gallon beer kegs but the difficulty with cleaning seems to be a large pain. It's not hard to take the ring out though and I guess It's doable. I might try and acquire one again. I can get them for about the same price as a damn corny here. (Brewery I used to work for).

I would definitely buy a sanke tap though.

Back