Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 60 qt. false bottom boil kettle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
msmylie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 60 qt. false bottom boil kettle

I just got a 60 qt. stainless kettle that has a false bottom and drain valve. Wanted to know if it is common to cool the wort in the kettle or to drain off and then cool? I'm assuming the cold break would clog the drain right? Can this kettle be used as a mash tun as well? If I want to do a partial mash can anyone suggest the best way to do this with this type of kettle? It has a thermometer built into it as well. Any tips appreciated.
mfs

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

If you are going to use the same pot for MLT and Kettle you might want to look into Brew In A Bag methods.

No the cold break will not clog the valve. Almost all chill in the kettle. You are going to want to get an Immersion Chiller at the very least.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
msmylie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I tried the kettle for the first time on a six gallon boil and the damn ball valve started leaking. I had to rack to another pot to finish the california common that was going. Anyways, now I need to figure out what the deal is. It must be the gasket on the interior of the kettle. Maybe I tightened too much and tore the gasket? Who knows, really could have used it to separate out all the northern brewer hops!
mfs

Old 02-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Is this a store bought product or a pot that you or someone else installed the ball valve on?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
msmylie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

its from that company homebrewstuff.com, i think that the manufacturer is Thunder Co? I dissasembled the valve to check the gasket since i thought it could be torn, but it looks fine. Maybe it was not on tight enough? I put back together using two wrenches so it is really on solid now. Might have expanded during the heat of the boil and was not on tight enough to prevent a leak. Have to wait till next brew day. If I was to use the kettle as a mash tun, would there be any problem in draining it out after mashing in, cleaning out the spent grain and then reusing for my boil? I am assuming you could just sparge in the pot after draining? I do have a big igloo water cooler that I could probably convert to mash tun though...

Quick Reply