Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 60 gallons a day water filtering??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 60 gallons a day water filtering??

Since I'm involved with a DIY brewpub I'm looking for an efficient way to filter water about - 60 gallons a day. Any ideas that would not be a major cost problem??

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Filtering what? Sediment, heavy metals, RO, chlorine???

Old 12-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'm thinking RO water?? but not sure how much somethign like that would cost for a 49 seat brewpub - you see our town softens the water BEFORE it get's to our houses (we water lawns with soft water) and since it tastes rather crappy . . . . . .

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
broadbill
Recipes 

So you know what your water looks like to start with? RO is basically the same as distilled water, you will have to add back ions to make it suitable for brewing (i.e. "build" your water). The up-side is that you can build your water to suit the style you are brewing (e.g. "Burtonize" your water for English IPAs), the down-side is expense, cost and output from the RO system.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
gnef
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

60 g/day membranes aren't that expensive for RO. If you think you may have a certain peak usage though (lunch or dinner time), it may exceed what the membrane is able to keep up with during those times.

I would recommend looking for something at twice that rate for RO, and using larger storage tanks to 'save up' the water while you aren't using it.

For my home RO system, I have this system: https://www.wattspremier.com/product...Osmosis-System

bought from costco for pretty cheap, and it has a 50 gallon/day membrane. I bought an 11 gallon storage tank to put in addition with the one that came with it. This gives me about 8-9 gallons total water storage (the tanks have bladders in them that takes up space).

If you don't want to deal with larger storage tanks, there are some RO membranes rated for continuous duty and the systems are tankless, but be careful and look up reviews, as I've read some of those systems don't last long or have issues in the long term.

My home system works well for me, but I don't know how that would translate to a brewpub.

Oh, and watering your lawn with softened water doesn't sound good to me, I tend to think there would be way too much sodium in the soil over time, but if it works for your town...

Walk-In Serving(14): Oatmeal Stout, Hard Cider, Belgian Tripel, Liquid Stupid, Belgian Dark Strong, Red Bull, Rye IPA, Double IPA, Imperial Stout, Irish Red, Scottish 70/-, Belgian Wit, Nut Brown, Traditional Mead
Walk-In Cold Storage(~50): Cysers, Braggot, Melomels, Ciders, Traditional Meads, Persimmon wines, Dry Stout, barleywine, cream ale, sodas, Chocolate stout, milk stout, and others I can't recall.
Fermenters (0): Nothing current.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Talked to the water dudes - they add florid, silicates (isn't that sand?) and chlorine. The water is pretty hard around here, in fact VERY hard.

As for watering . . . . I stay away from that actually, I'm not a fan of mowing. LOL

Old 12-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
broadbill
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
Talked to the water dudes - they add florid, silicates (isn't that sand?) and chlorine. The water is pretty hard around here, in fact VERY hard.

As for watering . . . . I stay away from that actually, I'm not a fan of mowing. LOL
If you are serious about this, you actually need a water report that quantifies the levels of ions, minerals, etc. in your water. "water is pretty hard around here" doesn't cut it...how hard is it exactly?

My 0.02

Old 12-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

if youve decided you are definately going with RO, you can skip the water report as almost everything will be zero. you should get one done on your tap water if you are still deciding on filtered vs RO, that will tell you what your options are.

60 gallons/day isnt much, a really nice carbon filter setup will probably be on-par with a small sized RO system in combined setup and operating costs. you will need a 60-80 gallon storage tank with RO however, which you probably wouldnt need with regular filters.

Quote:
I'm thinking RO water?? but not sure how much somethign like that would cost for a 49 seat brewpub
sizes go by #gallons used (which you said was 60/day), not by how many seats at a restaurant. it wouldnt be for the entire building
(that would be $$$$$$$$$).

Old 12-20-2011, 06:42 PM   #9
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
If you are serious about this, you actually need a water report that quantifies the levels of ions, minerals, etc. in your water. "water is pretty hard around here" doesn't cut it...how hard is it exactly?

My 0.02
And as for taste, try running it through a carbon block filter. They do wonders for the taste of my well water & don't remove any minerals that are important to brewing.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 12-21-2011, 01:09 AM   #10
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Are there carbon blocks that big that would not have to be changed out daily? Pretty happy - opened tonight - pass all inspections and the place is hopping!! hmmmm a well hopped brewpub!

Need more beer though! LOL

Quick Reply