The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > $50-$60 Wort Chiller build budget

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 06:30 AM   #1
MVKTR2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default $50-$60 Wort Chiller build budget

So it's my anniversary and the wife is giving me $100 buck to spend on bier equipment (I'm spending 50-60 on a brew pot). Well I've got a few bucks to spend of my own.

Thus I'm looking to build a wort chiller in the $50-60 range. I'm guessing my best shot at this is to buy 50 ft. of 3/8" (1/2" if I can afford it) copper tubing. I've got some hose connections and hose clamps. I thought this would provide me with the opportunity to build a 30' wort chiller with a 20' pre chiller and I'd use the buck of ice water around a pre chiller cooling the water before it goes through the wort chiller method.

Is this the best I can do on this budget?
Is this an effecient system for 5 Gal batches?
What other options do I have in this price range?

Thanks,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

This is tough, IC is a must!
Pre-chiller or a water pump re-circulating the iced water, the debate continues. I moved to the water pump (200 gal per hour) for around 25$ and am OK with that. (I want uncle Al Gore to happy.)
If I redid it I would have gone with a 40-50 ft IC and a 400 Gal per hour setup, then I could handle 10 gal easily. But let's not forget a counter flow chiller, I'm sure others will speak to that. All may be able to be possible where you live. In Hawaii you need to add at least 20%.
Good luck.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
davebl
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think you can order copper from http://www.coppertubingsales.com cheaper than lowes...... much cheaper I think. The only catch is 50' min. rolls.

SO, you build two chillers, sell one. Just a thought.

Planning:

Primary: Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout

Secondary: Centennial IPA (Dry Hopping)

Kegged: Oberon Clone, Kona Fire Rock APA, Northern English Brown, Centennial Blond

Old 07-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
knarfks
Recipes 

I would go with a pump rather than a prechiller definately, I have had both and the prechiller was a joke comparatively. Make a 50' if you plan on ever doing 10 gallon batches and save youself time and money.

Primary: nothing :(
Secondary: Dry Mead
Bottled: Oatmeal Stout, apfelwein, craplwein, Orange Blossom Mead, Two heart clone
Kegged: Apfelwein...wedding cleared out 3 kegs

Old 07-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Remember I'm on a budget here, so things like counter flows and recirculation pump setup are out of the question. Obviously once the chiller is built I can convert to a recirculator pump setup.

So I ask, on this budget, should I build a 30' immersion and 20' prechiller or should I just build a 50' standard immersion chiller? Obviously if I build the 50, I'll have a perfect setup to use for upgrading later if converting to an immersion pump.

Is there another $60 solution out there better than the 2 above? If not which one do i build...

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 07-26-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I would build a 50' and worry about a recirculating pump later. If I where you I would wait two weeks until you can find an extra $10 and get item number 8989K98 from McMaster-Carr.... Booyaa! 50' x 1/2" stainless coil! You can bend it buy hand, I just did mine.

I think the best chilling method for homebrewers is Jamil's whirlpool while recirculating ice water, so that is what I will be doing (kind of). If I were you I would build toward that system.

Cheers! and happy anniversary!

Old 07-26-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
friscobrewer
Recipes 

I bought 50' of 3/8 from coppertubingsales.com and made a 35 foot chiller and a 15 foot prechiller. I never had a chiller before. I like it, but the prechiller only seems decent in Texas in July. I do get down to 70 within 30-40 minutes instead of 1 1/2 hours. Also it does use a lot of water.

I have read one idea of using the smaller chiller like a CF chiller. Chill with the 30 foot IC and then siphon out through the 20 foot chiller with it sitting in a bucket of ice water. That might be something to try.

Better People...Better Food...Better Beer....

Old 07-26-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 11 Posts

I built my chiller for $75. it works with gravity or pump. I use it on 10G batches but it would work on 5 also. coppertubing sales can provide all the copper and fittings for about $50 and the hose was about $ 20. Here is the thread that gives the specifics. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...ght=hell+earth
good luck with any method you decide to use. I used Bobby_M CFC tutorial for the first 1/2 of it

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Last edited by beerthirty; 07-26-2008 at 07:36 PM. Reason: credit to Bobby_M CFC tutorial

Quick Reply