Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > #5 Plastic for bottling bucket

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2009, 02:26 AM   #1
studmonk3y
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default #5 Plastic for bottling bucket

So in my effort to keep things cheap, I stopped by a bakery today to grab some free buckets for storage and a bottling bucket. I was expecting the buckets to be #1 or #2, but they were #5 plastic. Is this type of plastic still safe for use as grain storage or as a bottling bucket? I don't plan on fermenting in these.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2009, 02:28 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by studmonk3y View Post
So in my effort to keep things cheap, I stopped by a bakery today to grab some free buckets for storage and a bottling bucket. I was expecting the buckets to be #1 or #2, but they were #5 plastic. Is this type of plastic still safe for use as grain storage or as a bottling bucket? I don't plan on fermenting in these.

Thanks.
Well if they contained anything food grade originally in it, then there isn't really an issue...and if they held frosting or anything like that in it, they contained that stuff much, much longer than the hour we are having our beers sit in the bottling bucket...right?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-14-2009, 02:51 AM   #3
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

What Revvy said, always keeping in mind the #'s 2, 3, 5 are not a designation of food contact safe.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:33 AM   #4
studmonk3y
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks. I figured it would be safe for bottling purposes but wanted to double check.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
What Revvy said, always keeping in mind the #'s 2, 3, 5 are not a designation of food contact safe.
While this is technically true, the numbers tell what type of plasitic you have and is not a designation of food safety by the FDA, if you know what the material is then you have a general idea of what is and what is not food contact safe. If you'll simply read up the the material in question.

here's a place to start http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_recycling

#2 HDPE: Water pipes, Hula-Hoop (children's game) rings, Milk, juice and water bottles; the occasional shampoo / toiletry bottle
most beer and or wine fermantation buckets are made of #2. Most brewers are leary of using any #2 that has any color other that white.

#3 PCV: Juice bottles; cling films; PVC piping
generally not considered safe for hot liqiuds but cold and cool is generally considered safe, many if not most cold water in home plumbing is PVC

#5 Polypropylene: Reusable microwaveable ware; kitchenware; yogurt containers; margarine tubs; microwaveable disposable take-away containers; disposable cups and plates

I'd say a cheap and easy way to tell if it will impart any off flavors are
1. If it smells, then wash it as see if it still smells.
2. if so let a solution of 1/4 cup Chlorox bleach per gallon of water sit in it a few days
3. let a bucket of water sit in it for a week if the water has an off flavors I would not use it

Old 01-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Kerberbb
Recipes 

My dad is a swimming coach at a local high school. When they "shock" the pool with cholorine they use 5 gallon #2 recycled plastic buckets. They have a screw on lid that would easily be drilled to fit an airlock. Would be interesting to see if these could work in some way. What do you guys think?

Old 01-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

The danger with that is that since they contain clhorine in contact with the plastic you rin the risk of having chloramines in your beer. THey are tricky buggers, often it comes from a cumulative building up of your brewing water/beer's contact with chlorine. I would be worried that those bucket are so permeated from holding chlorine that it would affect your beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
Kerberbb
Recipes 

For lack of a better word what is the half-life of chlorine? If you were to let it sit with just say water in it for a month then just clean it with soap?

Quick Reply