Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 5 gallons=5 gallons?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #1
HarrisonHomeBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 5 gallons=5 gallons?

I just completed my 2nd batch of beer and I've had the same problem both times. I have used 5 individual US Gallons of water. (I bought the first time and saved the jugs b/c my RO system doesn't have a large tank) Each time I boiled with 3 gallons and had 2 gallons of cold water in the carboy. When I pour the wort into the carboy, I have had about 1/2 a gallon left of wort that won't fit. Did I get a 4.5 gal carboy, or does all the other ingredients add to it? Do I need to get a larger carboy and keep this one as a secondary???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

That seems odd - usually you lose some volume to the boil. What kind of carboy are you using for your primary? Just a 5 gallon? You should really have a 6.5

Old 01-21-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Get a 6.5 gallon carboy (or a bucket, or a better bottle), and use the 5 for secondary. Doesn't sound like you are getting much evaporation; how vigorous is your boil? In any case, I like to shoot for 5.5 gallons going into the primary, since I will inevitably lose a half gallon to the trub when I rack to secondary. A 5 gallon carboy doesn't give you a lot of room for an active fermentation, anyway.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:43 PM   #4
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

The water jugs will have over a 1 gallon capicity if they ar sold with 1 gallon and you have the volume of the malt to add to it as well plus maybe a 4% increase in volume on heating.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

If you are using LME it adds about a quart of volume per 3 lbs.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-22-2007, 03:38 AM   #6
TK421
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonHomeBrew
I just completed my 2nd batch of beer and I've had the same problem both times. I have used 5 individual US Gallons of water. (I bought the first time and saved the jugs b/c my RO system doesn't have a large tank) Each time I boiled with 3 gallons and had 2 gallons of cold water in the carboy. When I pour the wort into the carboy, I have had about 1/2 a gallon left of wort that won't fit. Did I get a 4.5 gal carboy, or does all the other ingredients add to it? Do I need to get a larger carboy and keep this one as a secondary???
5 gal carboys are really for secondary, as others have said get a 6.5 gal carboy or a bucket fermenter for Primary.

As a point of reference, I do full wort boils and I start with 6.5 gallons in the brew pot to yield 5 gallons into my primary when I rack it. I usually lose a gallon in the boil, then another half remaining in the bottom of my brew pot when I rack.

Primary: Empty
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty
Drinking: Midwest Porter, Noble Trappist Ale

Quick Reply