Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 5 gallon Igloo cooler to HLT

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
ajs349
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 5 gallon Igloo cooler to HLT

Since upgrading to a larger MLT I have a 5 gallon Igloo cooler sitting in the garage without a purpose. I'd like to make a HLT but I had a few questions.

I was planning on heating it with a heating element should I be looking for a "screw in" type like these?

Could I then wire it into a RANCO controller and finally a wall outlet?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sounds like you have the right plan. My only concern would be the amount of heat it puts out. Because you're using a plastic cooler, I would be worried about it melting if you place the element within a few inches of the cooler walls. It's been done before though, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 09-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
freddyb
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Yes, and yes. I did this with my old 10 gallon MLT. It's now a 1440W HLT. I don't see the need to use a temperature controller as the temp doesn't rise all that quickly. Just give it a stir and check the temp periodically and turn it off (unplug it) when you're at your target temperature. You can always drop it down a few degrees by adding some cool water if necessary. I used the stainless steel lock nut from Bargain Fittings with their high-temp o-ring and it doesn't leak. Very happy with this setup.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:24 AM   #4
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yes an electric element will power a cooler HLT nicely...rather than using the ranco, you could put it on a timer...with a bit of trial and error, you will be close or over strike temps and can temper w/ a few ice cubes or cold water.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 09-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
ajs349
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I'm going to go out this weekend and see if I could find one at Lowes or Home Depot. If everything works as planned it should be an inexpensive HLT (since I already have the cooler and valve).

Old 08-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Cybershadow
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

what size hardware did you use to do this? Is there some sort of "spacer" you can use to keep the heatstick away from the bottom of the HLT?

Quick Reply