Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 5 gallon glass carboys-OLD ones

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
splat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 5 gallon glass carboys-OLD ones

I just bought 3 5 gallon glass carboys at a garage sale for 6 bucks a piece. Planning on using them for brewing. But they look old, and are blue/green glass...Could these be worth more money being antiques??? Some have old water bottle lables on them...I was thinking about selling them, and buying new brew stuff with the money... Any thoughts?

Primary- Dead guy clone 10gallons
Secondary-Ambition Amber Ale
Secondary-
Keg #1- Edworts Pale Ale
Keg #2- Empty :(
Keg #3- Empty :(
Keg #4- Empty
Bottled- Canadian Draft
Bottled- Honey Wheat Ale
Bottled- Octoberfest lager
Next up- Another coopers Cervesa kit for the ladies.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 208

If you can sell them easily, using the cash for some 5.5 gallon Better Bottles (plastic) would be my vote.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
Bytor1100
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have an old blue/green 5 gallon carboy that I use

30 Gallons - Malty Moe APA

Old 05-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #4
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i dont know about antique value, but they work well as fermentors. I have an old 5 gallon glass bottle myself the date is always printed on the bottom mine is from 1930 i think. what does your say?

Old 05-01-2008, 10:11 PM   #5
splat

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1v1116
i dont know about antique value, but they work well as fermentors. I have an old 5 gallon glass bottle myself the date is always printed on the bottom mine is from 1930 i think. what does your say?
Im not sure what they say on the bottom... But I dont like the idea of using 5 gallon carboys for primarys.... I use 5 gallon BBs as secondarys... Just thought If I could sell these for 40-50 bucks a piece I could use that money to buy other stuff.

Primary- Dead guy clone 10gallons
Secondary-Ambition Amber Ale
Secondary-
Keg #1- Edworts Pale Ale
Keg #2- Empty :(
Keg #3- Empty :(
Keg #4- Empty
Bottled- Canadian Draft
Bottled- Honey Wheat Ale
Bottled- Octoberfest lager
Next up- Another coopers Cervesa kit for the ladies.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat
Im not sure what they say on the bottom... But I dont like the idea of using 5 gallon carboys for primarys.... I use 5 gallon BBs as secondarys... Just thought If I could sell these for 40-50 bucks a piece I could use that money to buy other stuff.
I think it's a good idea to sell them....there's no telling the age/brittleness of the glass, they could be stronger than the new glass ones or the could break on your first use....I've read too many tales on here and other sites about busted carboys and things like tendon damage...or at the least lost beer....Go for the better bottles.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #7
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

They're probably better quality than the imported ones available now.

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 05-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2brew
They're probably better quality than the imported ones available now.
That was my first thought....but doesn't glass get more and more brittle with age?

My gf just had a bunch of really old, thick glass drinking glasses start to break.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #9
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

oh yeah I would never use it as a primary for beer, there great for mead which doesn't usually foam much. this link shows one just like what i have http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Gallon-Antique-Green-Glass-Bottle-circa-1929_W0QQitemZ360042307120QQihZ023QQcategoryZ14QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q 2em118Q2el1247
I dont know exactly what yours looks like but I would try looking around ebay and on google for similar items for sale and see what people are asking. If you can decipher the info on the bottom you maybe able to find an exact match.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #10
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have a clear glass carboy with 1923 marked on the bottom. It looks similar to the one on the ebay link. I've used it for primary and secondary. I really like it. I like using old stuff like that though. Makes it special for me, wondering what other beers or ciders or what not have been brewed in it. Hell it made it through prohibition

I've been gifted all 4 of my glass carboys. I'd buy better bottles if I ever needed to buy any, but I can't justify buying new better bottles when I have perfectly fine carboys to use.

One thing to keep in mind is that glass is somewhere between a liquid and a solid. The molecular structure is not uniform, and some people claim the shape of glass will change over long periods of time.

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Quick Reply